• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Elephant Hawk Moth (1 Viewer)

Julie I

After an absence of 2 weeks from my garden I have noticed that my lovely fuschia has been stripped bare. The culprits are 6 caterpillars from the Elephant Hawk-Moths. It took me a while searching on the web sites to identify these hugh fat caterpillars with a snake like appearance but I am now convinced that I have identified them correctly.

I live in South West England and today - 9 Sept 04 has been one of the warmest yet. Anyone else out there found any recently?

Regards

Julie I

Last edited:
Hi Julie,

A warm welcome to BirdForum from all the Admin and Moderators.

You could be right about caterpillars - although I'm no expert. Is there any chance you could post a picture?

I found one going across the back yard the other day and transferred it to some Fuchsias - I hope it doesn't repay me by stripping them bare!

I think Willowherbs are their main foodplant but Fuchsias are one of several alternatives listed.

Here's a pic of mine - never quite sure which is the front and which the back end until they move!

Attachments

• elephant hawkmoth caterpillar.jpg
    elephant hawkmoth caterpillar.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 166
Julie I said:
After an absence of 2 weeks from my garden I have noticed that my lovely fuschia has been stripped bare. The culprits are 6 caterpillars from the Elephant Hawk-Moths. It took me a while searching on the web sites to identify these hugh fat caterpillars with a snake like appearance but I am now convinced that I have identified them correctly.

I live in South West England and today - 9 Sept 04 has been one of the warmest yet. Anyone else out there found any recently?

Regards

Julie I

Hello Julie,
Your caterpillars are Elephant Hawk, they should be pupating very soon. Don't worry about your Fuschia, it will recover next year without any harm. The adult moth are one of Britains most beautiful insects.

Elephant Hawk is one of the commonest and most widely distributed of the British Hawk moths. Here is one I photographed last year in my garden. See thumbnail.

Harry

Attachments

• Elephant Hawk 2 BF.jpg
    Elephant Hawk 2 BF.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
Thank you Harry for your confirmation and the reasurance that my Fuschia will recover. The photograph of the moth looks lovely and I look forward to seeing mine develop - hope I don't miss them.

Best wishes

Julie

Hi Adey,

I am told that the Fuchsias recover next year. I wouldn't know what a willowherb looks like so perhaps I am lucky I have Fuchsias as I understand that these horrible looking caterpillars (and mine looks just like yours) turn into wonderful pink moths. Roll on next May.

Best wishes

Julie

Last edited:
Hi Robin,

Thanks for the welcome. Others members have confirmed that my caterpillars are from the Elephant Hawk Moth. I have received a photo of someone else caterpillar which was the same as mine, and a photo of the lovely pink moth that it turns into. I have also had a reasurance that my Fuschia will recover next year.

Here is a picture of one of my caterpillars. Hope it works.

Best wishes

Julie

Attachments

• Caterpillar2.jpg
    Caterpillar2.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 174
Julie I said:
Hi Robin,
Here is a picture of one of my caterpillars. Hope it works.
Best wishes
Julie

Hello Julie,
Your photograph confirms your own ID. The larva pupate on the surface of the ground inside a few dead leaves spun loosly together. Be careful when you tidy up the garden or you may damage them. Sometimes they pupate at the foot of the foodplant, sometimes (when fully fed) they go 'walkabout' to look for somewhere else that is suitable, so you may find them wandering anywhere in your garden.

Harry

harry eales said:
Hello Julie,
Your photograph confirms your own ID. The larva pupate on the surface of the ground inside a few dead leaves spun loosly together. Be careful when you tidy up the garden or you may damage them. Sometimes they pupate at the foot of the foodplant, sometimes (when fully fed) they go 'walkabout' to look for somewhere else that is suitable, so you may find them wandering anywhere in your garden.

Harry

Hello Harry,

Thanks for the additional information and I promise to be careful in the garden so as not to damage them.

Best wishes

Julie

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back