• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norwich Birding (1 Viewer)

Not a flock as impressive as Sacha's, but at least 12 Waxwings in Taverham this morning on St.Edmund's Rise. They were perching on aerials opposite Taverham Junior School and were dropping down to drink from the guttering every few minutes.

2 Buzzards over my garden this afternoon may well be local birds on a wander, I do see Buzzards occasionally throughout the year but not very often. Still plenty of birds using the feeders but nothing new, if you exclude the pair of Mallards that are hanging around and will probably breed in a local garden!

Still (!!) no summer migrants today. As others have noted, this is the first year I can recall not seeing Hirundines of at least one species by now, and the dearth of singing Chiffs is noticeable. Winter fare was still very much on the menu today when a flock of about 40 Waxwings flew low East over my garden in Taverham. They were at house height and I guess may have come off the berries opposite (where a smaller flock has been on a few occasions recently). Unfortunately, I had people in the house and so couldn't race after them to see how far they got. I checked a little later, but no sign. Anyway, I suppose most people are fed up of Waxwings by now. Roll on Spring.

Whitlingham today had a flock of around 15 Lesser Redpolls and a lone (and quite tame) Siskin, which a look back at my records suggests is my first April Whitlingham record.

Otherwise 36 Pochard and c50 Tufted Ducks, all very much winter fare.

Attachments

• Whit siskin (800x602).jpg
    Whit siskin (800x602).jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 68
Birds numbers at the garden feeders seem to be increasing with Chaffinch and Greenfinch both into double figures now. A pair of Spotted Woodpecker seem to enjoy the lard put out and a few Siskin have also been around today. 2 Little Egrets flew over the garden early pm, with one of same or another over an hour or so later.

A new bird "in" the garden and under the feeders this morning as a pair of Red-legged Partridges made the jump across the stream from the field at the back. I see them occasionally in the distance so it was a bit of a surprise that they were actually in the garden!!!

A couple of pics from the garden yesterday. The Woodpecker was taken through the conservatory window. The Siskin showed down to about 2 metres with my son running back and forth to the house to get my camera!

Attachments

• DSCF2660.JPG
    DSCF2660.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 72
  • DSCF2656.JPG
    DSCF2656.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 56
A steady build up of Redwings in the field beyond my garden has grown from c8 on Saturday to 80 odd today. No Fieldfares with them though but the local Mistle Thrushes feed with/near them. 2 Buzzards seem to have taken up territory in the wood viewable from my house, they were displaying Sunday and I've been seeing them daily since the 1st.

Two good Norwich birds reported in one day

Spotted Redshank reported from Bowthorpe marsh, pretty good norwich bird.

Spotshank Bowthorpe
Not by river between bridge near Spire Hospital and Mardle Street. Two oystercatchers and redwings there. Met patch birder and we moved onto Earlham Marsh.

Teal still on flood upriver from Earlham Church. I picked up spotted redshank in flight. Re-found but flew towards UEA as dusk approached.

Eaton Park Med Gull
No sign of med gull at Eaton Park boating lake at lunchtime.
Walked to UEA where chiffchaff and cetti's warblers singing at the end of UEA Broad.

A productive week on Costessey House Private Estate has produced very decent numbers of Snipe on the marshes/meadows, with a maximum of around 50 last Friday, including a flock of 32 together over the cottage on the same day (see pic). At least 2 Woodcocks have been around as well, one of which has stuck around for the duration. Continued effort in daily Snipe counts eventually came up trumps yesterday, with a Jack Snipe flushed in the evening.

Other highlights have included a Brambling, a Water Rail last Thursday and a male Stonechat last Friday both on the marshes. Redwing and Fieldfare are also still moving through, with 10 Redwings and 8 Fieldfares yesterday, whilst up to 2 Chiffchaffs have been around since last Friday and Little Egret has been daily, with 2 last Thursday.

Joseph

Attachments

• IMG_4765.jpg
    IMG_4765.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_4687.JPG
    IMG_4687.JPG
    391.5 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_4633.JPG
    IMG_4633.JPG
    316 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
A good visit to the patch ( Thorpe marshes , Norwich ) .
2x Singing Chiffchaffs and a Cettis- along with a Little Ringed Plover , 4x oystercatchers 2x common Snipe, green and gt. spotted woodpeckers among others but bird of the day went to a passing over Red kite- First one for the patch! Things are starting to happen at last!
Happy birding
Shaky

Bowthorpe or Earlham

Jammed spotshank, flying over Earlham Marshes flood - north upriver from Earlham church. Got a second birder onto it. He picked it up when it flew again. Landed briefly.

The spotshank then flew off again (to roost?). Four snipe present also flew off.

Not sure whether Bowthorpe Marsh is (only) where the great white egret was - Spire Hospital and Mardle Street area or includes Earlham Marsh too.

Local birders say birds can be mobile around here.
That explains why I normally dip stuff here - ring ouzel and wryneck two examples.

Paul,
The marsh area between Earlham Church and Tollgate Way has, in my mind, always been refered to as West Earlham Marsh. It's a part of my patchwork challenge patch and another Nick that works at UEA. It had the GWE on regularly and has had good numbers of gadwall, Teal and the odd shoveller this winter while it's been really wet. I think ChrisBish has birded this area for quite some time but it doesn't get all that much birder coverage as I am aware.
Great re-find on the spotshank... hard one for Norwich, let alone this area!
Nick

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back