• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Last of costa Rica Butterflies for ID (1 Viewer)

rwpierce

This is the last set of butterfly photos that I need some help identifying
Most of these were taken at the same spot-a garden area at the Pozo Azul Rafting Center near Tirimbina.

The one small butterfly-in black and red on big green leaf- was in the Tirimbina Rain Forest itself.

Attachments

• Butterfly near Rio Sarapiqui.jpg
    Butterfly near Rio Sarapiqui.jpg
    371.3 KB · Views: 99
  • At Tirimbina Nature Preserve.jpg
    At Tirimbina Nature Preserve.jpg
    466.7 KB · Views: 84
  • Also near Rio sarapiqui.jpg
    Also near Rio sarapiqui.jpg
    338.2 KB · Views: 86
  • Near RioSarapiqui also.jpg
    Near RioSarapiqui also.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 109
  • Pozo Azul Rafting Center.jpg
    Pozo Azul Rafting Center.jpg
    326 KB · Views: 108
2 is a Chlosyne species. I thought it might be janais but the underside looks wrong.
3 is Anartia fatima. (Banded peacock)
4 is Dryas iulia. (Flame or Julia)
Last one has many English names, but the easiest name to know is Colobura dirce.

It is great to get the IDs on four of the five pictured.
Does anyone have a guess at first photo?
It was taken at the same place as the Banded Peacock and the Julia.

Hi

4 doesn't look like the D. iulia I'm familiar with: forewing isn't pronounced enough. Don't ask me what it is, though. Hope this helps...

Hi

4 doesn't look like the D. iulia I'm familiar with: forewing isn't pronounced enough. Don't ask me what it is, though. Hope this helps...

They are rather variable. Can see what you mean but the underside markings down to the eye colour, leg colour and cream stripe are all perfect match for D. iulia.

There are many mimic butterflies in Central and South America though? I don't know of any that mimic this species so perfectly.

thanks for all the insights into these butterflies.
BUT, is there anyone who can help with the first image???

I'm sure there is. There aren't many butterfly people on this forum though. I don't recognize it from that underwing view. Any recollection on what it looked like above? It looks like it might have been black.

After doing some more research online, it looks as if the image is the ventral side of a young Banded Peacock.
Doe that make sense??

Ah yes, that would explain why it looked so familiar! The upperside is right in front of us all along.

Don't know what you mean by young though, a young butterfly is a caterpillar. When they gain wings they are adults (or "imagos").

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back