• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sheringham Dotterel - when West is East ! (1 Viewer)

firstreesjohn

I twitched the remaining bird this morning: a strenuous walk of just over 0.2 mile from my humble abode.

I’d puzzled over some of the directions and, on ascending Skelding Hill, found the bird close, at the edge of the fairway of what appeared to be the 4th hole. The first shot displays just how close it was to the golfers. The second photo is uncropped. The bird was happy to allow such close portraiture.

All the golfers were interested in the bird - some even knowing about it/them. None did not take care to avoid disturbing it - unlike the occasional member of the public, and even other birders, at some twitches.

I estimated it was a mile to the Western end of the Golf Course and considerably less (in fact, just under 0.2 mile) to the Eastern boundary and The Esplanade.

I attach a map, for possible future reference. The position of the bird is indicated by the red star. This does not reflect on its possible political leanings.

What was immensely pleasing was a spectacular flyover by a Honey Buzzard (thank you, James), as we were leaving.

Attachments

• P1540396pse.jpg
    P1540396pse.jpg
    276.8 KB · Views: 128
  • P1540466psePAINT.jpg
    P1540466psePAINT.jpg
    766.7 KB · Views: 121
  • Sheringham Golf Club course map annotated for Dotterel Sept 2016.jpg
    Sheringham Golf Club course map annotated for Dotterel Sept 2016.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back