• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Elephant Hawk Moth (1 Viewer)

gay

Hi everyone, My name is Gabrielle and my son's name is Samuel. A few weeks back we found an E-H moth caterpillar in our back garden. I only know it is an E-H after a lot of checking up on the internet. Anyway, we thought it would be rather educational to watch the caterpillar when it changes into a moth. What we did was we used a plastic transparent fish bowl and put in the bowl a small layer of soil and some of the weeds it was feeding on. We picked up the caterpillar whilst it was on the weeds so not to actually touch it. We put more of the weeds (willowherb) in the bowl and you should have seen him eat!! We have named him Munchy!!. Anyway, before I ask the relevent questions I will continue as things have moved on.... I have read Harry's advices and yes, he wrapped some of the leaves around him and curled into what looked like a little ball. He was pulsating. A few days later he (I think) has started his cocoon. He has formed a hard coating around his body and seems to be emerging like a finger from underneath the leaves. He is obviously no longer munching away but he does give a very small jerk from time to time - maybe once every 2 days not that I sit staring at him all the time!! Anyway, what I need to know is:

We put soil in the bottom of the bowl but after reading Harry's script what do I do as the soil is not necessary. Shall I leave it as it is or take the soil out? If I take the soil out it will mean disturbing Munchy. I am going to attempt to attach a photograph of Munchy before he went into his cocoon. Thanks for reading, advices awaited. Gabrielle and Samuel. ps, can my son take him into school to show the class? If so, should he take him in the bowl as he is because if so, I think I had better carry him. (My son is only 6 and will end up dropping the bowl and losing Munchy!!). Thanks again.

Attachments

• munchy.JPG
    munchy.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Hi gay and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

How exciting to be watching all this unfold and I've pretty much decided I am going to try and raise some Monarch butterflies myself.

I can't tell you what to do as far as the soil but hopefully someone will have some answers for you before long.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back