• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (41 Viewers)

I have removed the details of wood warbler on the last few pages at at least one of the sites has had two birds and I have been asked by local birders to remove the details from here. Given what a rare breeder it is in Norfolk this seems a wise precaution, so please refrain from posting locations of them for now - thanks.

After the shameful events at one site a few years back agree 100% and anyone finding one in suitable habitat should just keep it to themselves. However, don't think there is a problem with news of individuals at coastal sites which are clearly in the 'wrong place' and just passing through.

Regards

Mick

Sounds a bit dodgy seeing as it was reported as a Pallid or Hen?!
My day did not go too well as I turned back half way down the Point (to then hear that RBF was in the Plantation) and managed to miss all raptors reported at Cley!
Still.. Beautiful weather and lots of Flava in the Eye Field

After the shameful events at one site a few years back agree 100% and anyone finding one in suitable habitat should just keep it to themselves. However, don't think there is a problem with news of individuals at coastal sites which are clearly in the 'wrong place' and just passing through.

Regards

Mick

Presume reference to the Kelling birds? Wood Warblers need all the help they can get right now.

Sounds a bit dodgy seeing as it was reported as a Pallid or Hen?!
My day did not go too well as I turned back half way down the Point (to then hear that RBF was in the Plantation) and managed to miss all raptors reported at Cley!
Still.. Beautiful weather and lots of Flava in the Eye Field

We dragged ourselves up to the Plantation, although it hardly seemed worth it; the only passage migrant being a single male Wheatear between the carpark and the seawatching screen. It was here - five minutes from the Plantation - we got news of the Red-breasted Flycatcher. Little bit gutted, but pleased to see it nonetheless and it was a first for, Leila. Also lurking in the small group of trees was Reed Warbler, Chiffchaff, Willow Warbler, Garden Warbler and Whitethroat. On the the return leg, two Whitethroat and two Wheatear of note.

Record shot taken down my Barnacle infested scope...

20130516_154034.jpg

Kieran

Presume reference to the Kelling birds? Wood Warblers need all the help they can get right now.

Presumably ref to birds slightly in inland at High Kelling, In the bird report that year the pair deserting was attributed purely down to disturbance by birders. Just being on their breeding area was enough for them not stick around and I think a lot of us, myself included need to put our hands up and say they should have just been left in peace. I don't think many people realised there were two birds.

We dragged ourselves up to the Plantation, although it hardly seemed worth it; the only passage migrant being a single male Wheatear between the carpark and the seawatching screen. It was here - five minutes from the Plantation - we got news of the Red-breasted Flycatcher. Little bit gutted, but pleased to see it nonetheless and it was a first for, Leila. Also lurking in the small group of trees was Reed Warbler, Chiffchaff, Willow Warbler, Garden Warbler and Whitethroat. On the the return leg, two Whitethroat and two Wheatear
Kieran

Well, at least you saw it... I think the Wheatear and Whitethroat on the return leg where the only birds I saw.. So it is surprising to see how many other birds were also in the Plantation..
Was expecting a RB Shrike somewhere on the Norfolk coast today.. I checked all the bushes they normally like!

Presumably ref to birds slightly in inland at High Kelling, In the bird report that year the pair deserting was attributed purely down to disturbance by birders. Just being on their breeding area was enough for them not stick around and I think a lot of us, myself included need to put our hands up and say they should have just been left in peace. I don't think many people realised there were two birds.
Agreed Josh. Its always a fine balance and we do not always get in right. Some rather decent Red foot photos on the net and despite two trips to the border at Lakenheath yet to connect.

East Hills And Blakeney Point

Saw very little at East Hills apart from hundreds of Wood Pigeons!

Decided at the last moment to walk Blakeney Point as well – I wanted to see one good bird today! I was very, very lucky indeed to make it in time to see the Red-breasted Flycatcher at 8pm!!! Fabulous little bird, but it killed me to walk back and arrived back at Coastguards at 10.30pm!

More pictures and full account on my blog.

Penny:girl:

Attachments

• IMG_8622 crop.jpg
    IMG_8622 crop.jpg
    301.9 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_8609 crop.jpg
    IMG_8609 crop.jpg
    290.8 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_8618 correct.jpg
    IMG_8618 correct.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Any gen on todays report of Pallid Harrier at Cley?

Ok .. I take back my earlier comment about the Pallid Harrier sounding dodgy. It was Mark Golley ... Enough said ..

I therefore managed to miss Pallid Harrier (an hour before I got there),Osprey, Montagu's Harrier and RB Fly while being IN the general area of all the birds (well, within 2 mile radius of each one)

And saw just a few Blue-h Wagtails!

When birding is good.. It's good.. Otherwise it can be one of the most feustrating hobbies ever! Why oh why did I not get into something more relaxing like fishing :)

Last edited:
RB Fly

Has anyone been out to BP today to look for the RB Fly? Not seen any news posted today (good or bad) and I was hoping to set out after work this evening.

Any help would be very much appreciated :t:

Titchwell May 17th

Today’s highlights

Red crested pochard – drake on grazing meadow
Little ringed plover – 5 on reserve
Common sandpiper – 2 on fresh marsh
Ruff – 1 on fresh marsh
Greenshank – 1 on Volunteer Marsh
Whimbrel – 1 on fresh marsh
Wheatear – 1 on grazing meadow

Paul

Has anyone been out to BP today to look for the RB Fly? Not seen any news posted today (good or bad) and I was hoping to set out after work this evening.

Any help would be very much appreciated :t:
Sorry only just seen your post. RBA reports at 4.39pm that 'no sign' today sadly.

Given all the "rather decent" shots of the Lakenheath Red foot. Here is a shot of the bird perched.It has been seen on the other wide of the river.

Attachments

• 15 092.jpg
    15 092.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:
Here's my two penneth of the RFF (shame about the bad light though).

John

Given all the "rather decent" shots of the Lakenheath Red foot. Here is a shot of the bird perched.It has been seen on the other wide of the river.

Attachments

• Red-footed Falcon 2262.jpg
    Red-footed Falcon 2262.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 142
  • Red-footed Falcon 2247.jpg
    Red-footed Falcon 2247.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 104
  • Red-footed Falcon 2237.jpg
    Red-footed Falcon 2237.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 112
  • Red-footed Falcon 2174.jpg
    Red-footed Falcon 2174.jpg