• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (10 Viewers)

Karl J said:
cheers keith i droped into Wheatfen quick the other evening , actually i thought it was too soon for White admirals but obviously not. the warden there, david nobbs, is one of the friendliest most helpful people you could ever hope to meet

coin-tossing time this friday then ... buxton or wheatfen ... hmmm (with horsey on the way back)

http://www.wheatfen.org/

cheers Karl

i think i'll check Wheatfen for the Admirals tomorrow night - any specific areas?

Tim

Hi,

Just realised I never thanked everybody for their help and advice for my trip a coule of weekes ago.

Lakenheath didn't let me down and we saw cuckoo, whitethroat, sedge, reed, blackcap, green woodpecker, common tern and my two main targets hobby and of course golden oriole.

The hobby gave great views hunting insects down the side of the water and the orioles, while very elusive, were well worth the wait. Their call is incredible.

Rounded the day off with a male and female montagu's harrier which was every bit as enjoyable. there were even a a few marsh harriers on the opposite side of the valley to keep us occupied whne the monites were down.

Thank you very much Tim. You live in lovely county which is very flat and has ridiculous roads :)

Stew

A pleasure Stew

Just a single White Admiral at Wheatfen tonight but a cracker. Some wonderful plants though... including Purple and Yellow Loostrife, Marsh Woundwort, Water Figwort, Meadowsweet, Meadow Rue, orchids, etc

lovely evening

glad you saw them as are nice when new, ya a great place for plants and insects
loads of dragon flies about is a nice place.

looks like we will have a good year with the little terns at yarmouth beach this year.
between 7-800 birds had 360 nests with very little predation.
this week there were chicks running about everywhere never seen so many before.
while i was there the kestral came over twice but with 700 sharp beaks on his rear he decided to leave quickly.
250 was the highest number of nests recorded previously to this so hoping for a great year.
About time.Worth a look if passing.

keith

Just a quick mention - there have been several reports of Beautiful Demoiselles from Norfolk recently. It seems likely that these blew over from the continent as they don't breed anywhere locally, so it's worth checking any 'banded' you see.

HarassedDad said:
Just a quick mention - there have been several reports of Beautiful Demoiselles from Norfolk recently. It seems likely that these blew over from the continent as they don't breed anywhere locally, so it's worth checking any 'banded' you see.

cheers

will be doing just that over next few days...

keithyed said:
looks like we will have a good year with the little terns at yarmouth beach this year.
between 7-800 birds had 360 nests with very little predation.
this week there were chicks running about everywhere never seen so many before.
while i was there the kestral came over twice but with 700 sharp beaks on his rear he decided to leave quickly.
250 was the highest number of nests recorded previously to this so hoping for a great year.
About time.Worth a look if passing.

keith

was up there about 7.30 this morning in the sunshine - hi to the site volunteer if you're reading this - saw loads of the terns flying back and forwards from the beach out to the shallows & along the seashore etc

certainly is worth a look

348 chicks have now been ringed with 5 fledged sofar, still very little predation so
we are expecting this year to break all records for the colony

fantastic afternoon at the Honeys - views of two birds in gorgeous sunlight... the latter sighting an excellent one. Got one earlier perched up for 5 mins or so. I think the second bird was the tatty female that has been absent for a week.

Met a nice bloke doing it on public transport and camping. He was delighted to get the honeys (after the throngs had left) and i gave him a lift up to the montys site - another bird he was very keen to see. Fortunately, we managed to find one pretty quickly and he was well pleased again.

Nice to see so much enthusiasm.

Not so pleasant though is the fact that a Norfolk Greater Butterfly Orchid (only one i am aware off) appears to have been (probably) nicked...

Black Darters at Dersingham Bog today

Me n Holly met up with Chris and Jacky and went thru the moth trap - few interesting things and a couple of corking Privet Hawks (photos later)

The spent about 4 hours in baking sun at dersingham Bog searching for the Darters... finaly found a few and had lovely views of one of the best dragons...

plus day flying Nightjar, Bog Asphodel, Common Sundew, Common Emperor, 60 Four-spotted Chasers!!!, Common and Ruddy Darters, Emerald Damsels, Oak Eggar moths including one netted by me in a spectacular dive that would have graced Lords...

finished off with a pint or two at the Brinsley Bell

cracking day

Tim

Privet, Elephant an Poplar Hawkmoths

Chris has the darter and plant shots... hope to have copies for tomorrow

Attachments

• ehpriv.JPG
    ehpriv.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 357
  • phm.JPG
    phm.JPG
    113 KB · Views: 362
  • pophawk.JPG
    pophawk.JPG
    101.7 KB · Views: 364
Gripped back a T.Allwood and GF at Titchwell today.
Nice surprise indeed....thanx to Mr Duxon for the id.
Wouldn't have recognised the suave, sleek and handsome devil sat next to me otherwise!

dave..

:)

deboo said:
Gripped back a T.Allwood and GF at Titchwell today.
Nice surprise indeed....thanx to Mr Duxon for the id.
Wouldn't have recognised the suave, sleek and handsome devil sat next to me otherwise!

dave..

:)

What, you mean the orange hair and wild staring eyes didn't give him away?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back