• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (35 Viewers)

2+ Willow Warblers singing at Dersingham Railway Line today, also Sand Martin west. Last night 3 Swallows and 2 Sand Martins west at Burnham.

Connor

Good bit of passenger seat birding today on the A1067 to Norwich. 1 Male Hen Harrier about a mile from Pensthorpe, soaring low over fields, 1 Barn Owl pirched in an old Oak just before the Attlebridge turning, 1st Swallow of the year on a wire and a Great Spotted Woody

Just back from a few days in Norfolk, very envious of those living there.

Pleased to see so many Avocets at Snettisham and Titchwell, Curlews and Redshanks at Titchwell and Thornham Harbour (where I made the mistake of walking on some seemingly solid mud). Oystercatchers at Moreston, Titchwell and Snettisham, Marsh Harrier at Titchwell yesterday morning as well as lots of Wrens, Linnets, Bullfinch, and a BT Godwit. GC and Little Grebes at Holkham Hall. Swallow at Titchwell early this morning.

Reed Bunting almost exactly in the place where Pallas might have been seen (pic attached), and would be grateful for an ID on the second pic, Pipit?

Attachments

• IMG_48003458.jpg
    IMG_48003458.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 76
  • 3441A.jpg
    3441A.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 115
Penny Clarke said:
Does anyone know the exact location of Ollie's farm in the Brecks please?

Best Wishes Penny

Didn't go birding today :-C :girl:

Is this 'ollies farm' associated with anything in particular/sightings etc?

Maybe it's an open farm or mini nature reserve?

Just trying to get more to 'go on', a standard google came up with nothing!

Matt

matt green said:
Is this 'ollies farm' associated with anything in particular/sightings etc?

Maybe it's an open farm or mini nature reserve?

Just trying to get more to 'go on', a standard google came up with nothing!

Matt
Found out where it is Matt, thank you.

Walked the pooches along the Wensum (to the Three Brick Arches, via Fakenham Tyres, if anyone knows it). Probably about 1-3 miles of footpaths through woodland (Willow, Oak, etc. Good mix), meadow and river habitats. Very nice area.

good day for year 1st's, with 1st House Martins hawking over the arches, 1st Whitethroat singing nearby, and 1st Willow Warbler, also singing. Also of note were a pair of Bullfinches , Kingfisher fly-by, Marsh Tit calling, a couple of Jays and lots of ducklings.

Jason

Dull weather, but fantastic birding

Dull weather, no sun ALL day!!!!!!

On route (A134), saw a swallow sitting on a telegraph wire! Arrived at Lynford Aboretum at 8.15am - Birds seen here: blackcap, long tailed tit, robin, mistle and song thrush, 2 egyptian geese, green woodpecker, 2 treecreepers, jay, blue tit, great tit, chiffchaff, brambling which sat right on top of a very tall tree near Folly AND could hear a Firecrest and after lots of patience it suddenly appeared literally just above my head flitting about amongst sycamore leaves, absolutely beautiful!, stock dove, sparrowhawk, tufted duck, coot, moorhen.

Arrived in the Brecks (12pm - too late!!!!) to see Goshawk and Woodlark, passed some birders who said the Goshawk was seen up to 11am(ish), it was 12pm when I arrived and was too late, never mind, but did see a hawk with a red tail!!!!! think was a red tailed hawk and had wonderful views of Woodlark, yellowhammers and also coal tit, greenfinch, sparrowhawk and lots of skylarks.

Arrived Weeting Heath 2.15pm. Saw 3 stone curlew (there are 4 at the moment) and Woodlark directly in front of hide, so close I was able to photograph them!!!!!, the best views I have ever had. The volunteer warden there was saying that nobody had seen a wheatear there yet, which was very unusual. Also long tailed tit and goldfinch in carpark.

Arrived RSPB Lakenheath Fen at 5.45pm - Saw several great crested grebes, tufted ducks, a stunning male stonechat, gadwall, teal, 2 avocets, shelduck, oystercathcers, heron, female pintail, redshank, 2 marsh harriers, mute swans, greenpecker in carpark! and a sparrowhawk.
The visitor centre is built and it LOOKED AMAZING, had a look around the building (obviously closed now) but according to the information board it is open, but I can't see anything on RSPB website that it is!!!! Anyway there is a viewing platform (with very smart short fence/railing for safety) the whole length of building, overlooking a massive pond with views of the populars etc behind, looked fantastic, and will be extremely popular further into spring/summer once everything has grown up and pond has matured. I stood there and imagined sandmartins skimming the water, dragonflies, kingfisher etc with cup of tea in one hand and chocolate in other!!! Don't know if there is a cafe there as well, if they have (and I hope they have) it will be nearly as popular, if not more so than Titchwell - if they haven't, they should definately add it later.

Holme tomorrow, very, very, very early!!!!!!

Best Wishes Penny :girl:

Hi Penny
A super Breckland read (as are all your posts), made me feel as if I was there!
Also answered a couple of questions I was about to post about whether the Stone Curlew had arrived. Is it best to arrive early as I have not visited this area before? I hope to visit in the next two weeks depending on work.

Best wishes

Kevin

North Norfolk Easter Weekend 2007

Great Report Penny!
We were down for the weekend and were iffing about a visit to Wheeting Heath and opted instead, for some long walks with a bit of birding thrown in.
Though migrants appeared thin on the ground, on Sat morning we visited the Sanctuary Hide at Snettisham for: Med & Little Gull, Common Scoter, Barnacle and Snow Geese.
Monday saw us walking Holkham Gap, Dunes and Wood, which turned up :
Bar Tailed Godwit, Sand Martin and Swallow, Ring Ouzel, Chiffchaff, Wheatear and Shore Lark.
We also had good views of what we can only describe as a "buff phase" meadow pipit, though any other opinion is welcome. Unfortunately though we regreted not having the scope since the light was poor most of the day.
Managed to get a few record pics per the attached.
We dipped on the Spoonbill seen at Lady Anne's over the weekend.
I am also interested in views on the mystery bird from Chosley yesterday, about half the size of a Corn Bunting.
Chosley still good for both Yellow Hammer and Corn Bunting.
Great views of Buzzard, Marsh Harrier and Barn Owl all weekend.
No where better!
Envious about the Stone Curlew views though.
Regards
Mick and Tina Sway

Attachments

• A CHOSELEY UNKOWN 100407 (Small).jpg
    A CHOSELEY UNKOWN 100407 (Small).jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 105
  • A PIPIT MEADOW UNUSUAL BUFF FORM HOLKOM 040907 (Small).jpg
    A PIPIT MEADOW UNUSUAL BUFF FORM HOLKOM 040907 (Small).jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 110
  • A RING OUZEL 1 OF 2 BIRDS  HOLKHAM DUNES 090407 (Small).jpg
    A RING OUZEL 1 OF 2 BIRDS HOLKHAM DUNES 090407 (Small).jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 101
  • A SHORE LARK, HOLKHAM DUNES 090407 (Small).jpg
    A SHORE LARK, HOLKHAM DUNES 090407 (Small).jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 100
  • A WHEATEAR HOLKHAM DUNES 090407 (Small).jpg
    A WHEATEAR HOLKHAM DUNES 090407 (Small).jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 95
First pic is female Linnet I think. Well done on Ring Ouzel and other sightings,

this morning at Dersingham Railway Line and Snettisham Water Mill:
1 male Wheatear, 3 singing Blackcaps, 3 singing Willow Warblers, 6 Chiffchaffs, 4 Swallows but NO Ring Ouzels!!!

40 reported through Titchwell this morning and quite a few reported at Holme an 16 between snettisham and Holme.

Heading to Holme tommorow so hopefully should get a few,

cheers,

Connor

Hello folks..... I agree with young Connor on the Linnet ID. Great that there's plenty of stuff around now, just wish I had more opportunity to get amongst it all! Did have a Chiffy singing at the bottom of the garden this morning. Magic....

James

My first visit to Sparham Pools today, I thought I'd probably left it too late but there was still a lone male Goosander. Also a few tufted ducks and a pochard on the pools, and my first tree pipit of the year along the edge of the fields at the back. Loads of Chiffchaffs singing, but no sign of any migrants of note.

James

Ring Ouzels Galore!!!!!!

When I left Lynn it was a glorious sunny day, a few miles before I reached Holme it was completely overcast!!!!!

Lots of bird movement today and the most swallows, martins and ring ouzels I have seen, stopped counting in the end!!!

Arrived at Holme 7.45am and parked car half way down Firs Road by 5-bar gate. I walked along coastal path and then veered off through forestry (NWT buckthorn area), 2 pied wagtails, 3 yellowhammers flew right over my head (west), 2 avocets on saltings and 1 redshank. Female kestrel sitting in bushes on forestry. At least 26 hedgesparrows, 2 egyptian geese flew over marsh, 4 red legged partridges exploded from marram, 2 swallow and 2 housemartins went over, 4 shelduck. At 8.15am I saw 2 male Ring Ouzels sitting on a big bramble bush just left of last big block house at end of forestry, I just saw them in time before a dog walker reached them! They then flew across me, back to the midst of forestry, as I watched them land there were 3 more!!! (3 males and 2 females). 14 goldfinches, 8 more house martins, 3 more swallows, blackcap singing in buckthorn by NOA carpark, 5 linnets, 5 more swallows! Walked round back of Firs House amongst pines, 1 green finch, 1 coal tit. Scanned marsh from coastal path overlooking broadwater and saw 8 avocets on broadwater, 3 pairs of shovelar, 2 redshanks sitting on posts in middle of marsh. As I walked round the corner to Holme Bird Observatory, they were ringing a Firecrest!!!!!! Talk about Lucky!!!! (with yesterday's Lynford one as well!!!!!). 1 Sparrowhawk flew over. 10.35am Sat in hide at end of bank, saw a female blackcap, and a very crisp looking goldcrest and also a chiffchaff. The sun had now broken through and things started to liven up. Walked back along Firs road, and then diverted into Forestry again to see 5 (either the same or new?) Ring Ouzels. 2 more swallows, 14 Brents flew east. Suddenly while standing in my favourite spot, a high bank overlooking a pond, I heard the wonderful reeling of a Grasshopper Warbler!! - I swung round to locate it and 2 men had also heard it, we pinpointed it to a bramble bush, but didn't really see it. Anyway I noticed on the coastal path a very tall man (looked through my bins - being nosey!!) and it was someone I know, so I walked across to tell them above the Grasshopper Warbler, as I did so, I saw 2 stunning male wheatears sitting on the buckthorn, sunning themselves! A brimstone was fluttering about too. I started to walk along coastal path back to my car and bumped into another birder I know and we were swopping our birding news when he heard another grasshopper warbler dune side of the path and we both saw it too!!! There were 9 grey plover on the shore and 1 ringed plover flew in, the sea was really hazy. Anyway David carried onto to HBO and I continued walking the path in direction of car. Saw 16 linnets and suddenly before me all I could see was wheatears! - in that wonderful flat area of forestry (where many years ago in the old days was a regular favourite patch for bluethroats, wrynecks and hoopoes) I counted 5 (3 male and 2 female) at least, they all looked stunning in the sunshine and looked happy to be here, one spent ages preening himself, ruffling his feathers several times, it was wonderful to watch, there was also a mistle thrush amongst them and several meadow pipits. 10 more Brents flew over, also 12 curlew. A stoat scurried along the verge near the carpark.

Drove back down to NOA carpark, swopped my wool hat for my Tilly Hat and took some layers off!!! (boilding hot now) where I sat in my deckchair eating my lunch and a whole easter egg!!!! with a nice cup of tea in the glorious sunshine thinking about everyone at work!!!! Saw a Willow warbler in the buckthorn. Walked down to Observatory and saw 1 little egret, a short eared owl scanning marsh, willow warbler in sycamore. Sat here for ages, felt tired and lazy now!

Arrived at Redwell Marsh at 5.15pm. Saw 3 pairs of Gadwall, pair of shelduck, pair of shovelar, 2 black headed gulls, 3 lapwing, mallard plus 14 young, bobbing about in the sunshine, they looked very vulnerable! The gulls though so too! 5 jackdaws bathing. Suddently 6 swallows and 4 sand martins appeared and skimmed over the water, beautiful. 2 noisy egyptian geese landed in water and there was one redshank.

Arrived at Holme Marsh 5.45pm. Pair of bullfinch sitting in trees by gate by carpark. Chiffchaff singing on path to hides. Very unusually, nothing from 1st hide. So walked along path (missed 2nd one out) and along path, saw and heard Willow warbler. Went into 3rd hide at 6.15pm and saw 2 male Ring Ouzels quite happily feeding to left of water, 1 pair of Gadwall. Just as I was about to shut the flap, 3 birds flew in: 2 pied wagtails and a stunning male wheatear!!!! Walked back to carpark and then walked down main public footpath (have not been down here for ages). This path goes about half way out across marsh, but does NOT go to beach, please note, ends at a farm gate marked private etc. At the end I had brilliant views of a short eared owl, as the sun started to go down and a wren was furiously ticking away by gate. There were several hares across the marsh too. This path looks like it would be brilliant for migrants, worth a look in future I think. As I got almost back to carpark, loads of swallows and martins twisted through the pink skies towards me and beyond, stunning.

P.S. My mother had 7 Ring Ouzels early this morning behind caravan park (golf course area) at Holme.

Best Wishes Penny :girl:

Last edited:
Hippo said:
Hi Penny
A super Breckland read (as are all your posts), made me feel as if I was there!
Also answered a couple of questions I was about to post about whether the Stone Curlew had arrived. Is it best to arrive early as I have not visited this area before? I hope to visit in the next two weeks depending on work.

Best wishes

Kevin
Hi Kevin, thank you very much.

It doesn't make much difference what time you arrive for the stone curlews - well I don't think so anyway. Have a wonderful time when you come to Norfolk.

Best Wishes Penny

Mick Sway said:
Great Report Penny!
We were down for the weekend and were iffing about a visit to Wheeting Heath and opted instead, for some long walks with a bit of birding thrown in.
Though migrants appeared thin on the ground, on Sat morning we visited the Sanctuary Hide at Snettisham for: Med & Little Gull, Common Scoter, Barnacle and Snow Geese.
Monday saw us walking Holkham Gap, Dunes and Wood, which turned up :
Bar Tailed Godwit, Sand Martin and Swallow, Ring Ouzel, Chiffchaff, Wheatear and Shore Lark.
We also had good views of what we can only describe as a "buff phase" meadow pipit, though any other opinion is welcome. Unfortunately though we regreted not having the scope since the light was poor most of the day.
Managed to get a few record pics per the attached.
We dipped on the Spoonbill seen at Lady Anne's over the weekend.
I am also interested in views on the mystery bird from Chosley yesterday, about half the size of a Corn Bunting.
Chosley still good for both Yellow Hammer and Corn Bunting.
Great views of Buzzard, Marsh Harrier and Barn Owl all weekend.
No where better!
Envious about the Stone Curlew views though.
Regards
Mick and Tina Sway

Hi Mick and Tina

Thank you. Glad you had a good time here in Norfolk, you had some good birds.

Best Wishes Penny

Users who are viewing this thread

Back