• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (47 Viewers)

I hope I've just been missing them but so far this year I've noticed a distinct lack of Cetti's Warblers in the broads - only two noted up to now. On Sunday I spent most of the day in what is usually a Cetti's rich area. The weather was fine and warm and I would normally have expected to hear around seven or eight but there was not a hint of any. Has this winter taken its toll on them? The weather has been pretty poor but any worse than the last few years? I had recorded plenty by this time last year. Hopefully the next few weeks will get them singing and it will business as usual.

I hope I've just been missing them but so far this year I've noticed a distinct lack of Cetti's Warblers in the broads

They do seem to be a bit later in getting 'going' properly than the last few years here at Strumpshaw, but they are there and singing sporadically. Hopefully once the next cold snap ends, spring will actually be here and they will be annoying visitors with their illusiveness as per usual.

Spring waders are arriving at Buckenham/Cantley now, the only spring like feel to this mornings walk in the rain though...

Thanks Bilvo and Ben for your response. Nice to hear they are still around and being recorded in the Yare Valley. My only two records so far this year have been at Titchwell and Carlton Marsh although I'm looking forward to my annual spring jaunt around Strumpshaw where I usually get double figure counts of singing males amongst the commoner warblers.

Steve.

If he thinks he’s going to swallow that pebble, he’s got another think coming !

At Salthouse Beach car park, I could only find a half-dozen Snowbies, including the whitening male below. I just love the tiny beads of water on his back and the way he’s gelled his hair.

There is so much water at Salthouse, with nowhere to go, that the Beach Road may soon become impassable, except by boat.

Attachments

• 166pse1.jpg
    166pse1.jpg
    361.3 KB · Views: 194
Titchwell March 9th

Today’s highlights

Certainly not the weather!!!

Water pipit – 1 on fresh marsh
Goosander – 2 drakes briefly on fresh marsh this morning
Long tailed duck – female on fresh marsh

Paul

The 'Valley' continues to produce the goods.
A 'movement' of Dunlin included two fly-over and then 12 Dunlin together 'grounded' (maybe a valley record!) The two were following my first ever Grey Plover in the valley as well (thanks 'loco' for picking them up!)! During the week (the day after the Blak-tailed departed) a Bar-tailed Godwit was also noted calling overhead! With a skulking Woodcock that kindly decided to walk away in the snow the wader species total in now 11!

the dipper was showing very well at Thetford again yesterday - it seems to be ranging much more in recent weeks, I wonder if it is getting itchy feet.

Attachments

• IMG_6161.jpg
    IMG_6161.jpg
    286 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_6018.jpg
    IMG_6018.jpg
    298.7 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_6206.jpg
    IMG_6206.jpg
    312.7 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_6137.jpg
    IMG_6137.jpg
    316 KB · Views: 81
I'm getting patch wader envy - hopefully this mini-cold snap will mean some birds on the move locally tomorrow morning.

The 'Valley' continues to produce the goods.
A 'movement' of Dunlin included two fly-over and then 12 Dunlin together 'grounded' (maybe a valley record!) The two were following my first ever Grey Plover in the valley as well (thanks 'loco' for picking them up!)! During the week (the day after the Blak-tailed departed) a Bar-tailed Godwit was also noted calling overhead! With a skulking Woodcock that kindly decided to walk away in the snow the wader species total in now 11!

Does anybody know anything about recent sightings of Reeve's pheasant in the brecks? I'm curious as to which site they have been seen at, as I've only ever seen them at a private site near Watton.

Does anybody know anything about recent sightings of Reeve's pheasant in the brecks? I'm curious as to which site they have been seen at, as I've only ever seen them at a private site near Watton.

I know of three sites that birds have been seen at recently, Daniel. What is your particular interest: are you looking to map sites and survey them or for other reasons?

Urban Birding

Round the corner from my house in King's Lynn: one barn owl, two reed buntings, three pheasants sitting on elders, one hedgesparrow singing next to the path, one robin, two blackbirds, two carrion crows, one great spotted woodpecker, two moorhens, one coot, pair of mallard and three Muntjac Deer.

Full update on blog.

Penny:girl:

I'm getting patch wader envy - hopefully this mini-cold snap will mean some birds on the move locally tomorrow morning.

Cantley looking like a good patch move James! This morning Cantley held;
1 ringed plover (patch yr tick), 142 black tailed godwits, 91 curlew and 115 Dunlin, as well as returning oystercatchers and redshanks!

Hope you got something this morning, anyone out in this weather deserves at least a patch yeartick!

I recently refound the male Reeves pheasant that 'graced' Strumpshaw wood a couple of years back- the one that attacked your ankles! Surprised to see it still surviving.... (I know its not the Brecks, but thought I'd mention it)

Steve , cetti's seem to have dissapeared form a couple of regular N Norfolk areas too. I was out this morning on the coast from dawn and it was like mid winter with a biting north east wind and driving sleet and snow. The birds had a mid winter feel to them as well, 550 wigeon , 10 pochard , 25 pintail along with goldeneye and Red breasted mergansers. A couple of hen harriers , a jack snipe and several flocks of fieldfare completed the wintery feel. The only thing to remind me that spring must be comming were a flock of 25 very unhappy looking avocets behind the sea wall.

Sheringham, single Purple Sandpiper with 31 Turnstone roosting on concrete sea defence immediately in front of Two Lifeboats Pub at 1650.

Thanks, unfortunately not. On a walk around Whitlingham in the sleet today most of the wildfowl had cleared out. 3 Lesser Redpoll, c15 Siskin and Kingfisher the pick of the birds. Looking over to Thorpe Broad I saw a Little Grebe, which is a bit unusual for there, and two Great-crested Grebes at Whitlingham were doing the head-bobbing part of their courtship display. The river had completely burst its banks at Trowse, flooding the meadow alongside Whitlingham Lane.

Best bird of the day was in my garden this afternoon, a male Blackcap on the fat balls. Presumably a wintering one rather than an early migrant.

Cantley looking like a good patch move James! This morning Cantley held;
1 ringed plover (patch yr tick), 142 black tailed godwits, 91 curlew and 115 Dunlin, as well as returning oystercatchers and redshanks!

Hope you got something this morning, anyone out in this weather deserves at least a patch yeartick!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back