• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (15 Viewers)

One reported at Flambrough today too.

Think am going to have to accept my bird will remain 'undiagnosed'.Have had pm from FH watcher who feels is juv arctic, but others have suggested pom and even LTT to that individual!Which all in a way makes me feel slightly less inept.But can't count it as pom just because it would be a lifer.Aaaaaarghhh!

Why can't i ever find a spot on skua.So sat 10th skua cruise next realistic chance!

Think am going to have to accept my bird will remain 'undiagnosed'.Have had pm from FH watcher who feels is juv arctic, but others have suggested pom and even LTT to that individual!Which all in a way makes me feel slightly less inept.But can't count it as pom just because it would be a lifer.Aaaaaarghhh!

Why can't i ever find a spot on skua.So sat 10th skua cruise next realistic chance!

I'm hoping for lots of help on those skuas on sunday, I've only ever seen 1 arctic ever. Of course they will be landing on the boat so there shouldn't be a problem!

Anyone got any idea what the largest family size is for long-tailed tits. I had a party of 20 plus birds fly across my garden this afternoon, I'm sure that none were counted twice as they all flew across the road and into the gardens beyond. It's a bit early for a winter feeding flock surely?

A trip to Fairburn this aft, Little Stint was too far and too secretive to spend more than half an hour waiting for. No show. Also from the metal hide garganey, 9 buzzards in a thermal, ringed plover, dunlin. In the flashes spent half an hour by the roadside hoping for something interesting to drop in, nope, 4 pied wags there all the time. After a break to pick damsons I went back to the same flash to find a greenshank and a ruff. Spent a while watching and photographing the GS, the ruff was up in a corner. Further down the road 3 blackwit, 2 ruff and a common sandpiper were a bit more distant. Went back for the ruff and sat there for half an hour waiting as the ruff slowly made its way round the edge of the pool. Before it got nice and close a car pulled up behind and a bloke got out and started flinging slices of medium white at the BHG's. Fully expecting to ruff to take off I was amazed to see it fly over for a nosey. It didn't bother pecking at the bread and a few slices later took off.

Some amazing pics of the spurn road on their website http://www.spurnbirdobservatory.co.uk/sightings/august11.html

Hornsea Mere

Went to the mere this afternoon
2 Greenshank, 6 Ruff, Quite a few adult and juvie Little Gulls around, and a very confiding Blackwit

Black-tailedGodwit001edited.jpg

I believe it is a juvenile Arctic also
Arctic can show two crescents e.g. http://www.avesymas.com/paja77.JPG
The base of the wings are too narrow, and the overall colouration, especially around the head and collar, is too gingery

Geoff Dobbs
East Yorkshire Recorder

Good selection of waders at Blacktoft, curlew sand, little stint, green sand, greenshank, redshank, spotted red, blackwit, snipe, ruff, ringed plover. Water Rail showing nicely, all too distant for photography (except some nice obliging snipe from the new Marshland).

Hey Doc

Apparently I know sweet FA, have been shown the error of my ways by far better birders than myself, and am now in total agreement with Arctic Skua. From now on, I will only be commenting on the ID of adult Blue Tits in full profile, and possibly the odd Mute Swan when I can see the beak colour clearly

Cheers
Ollie

Todays efforts

Good selection of waders at Blacktoft, curlew sand, little stint, green sand, greenshank, redshank, spotted red, blackwit, snipe, ruff, ringed plover. Water Rail showing nicely, all too distant for photography (except some nice obliging snipe from the new Marshland).

Agree with that Jim watched a spectacular display by 6-8 Marsh Harriers then noticed that one was tagged,(sorry about the pic) warden confirmed that they do not tag Harriers at Blacktoft.(they will id it)Also two of the best from today :t:

Attachments

• A1.jpg
    A1.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 64
  • A2.jpg
    A2.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 76
  • A5.jpg
    A5.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 104
Hey Doc

Apparently I know sweet FA, have been shown the error of my ways by far better birders than myself, and am now in total agreement with Arctic Skua. From now on, I will only be commenting on the ID of adult Blue Tits in full profile, and possibly the odd Mute Swan when I can see the beak colour clearly

Cheers
Ollie

Hi Ollie
I never made any suggestions about your abilities. I hope u r been self critical! These are very difficult birds, only heard your idea that was a certain species second hand!

I think my photo shows how hard they are...doesn't mean we should stop trying! Sorry if anyone is upset...but i'm the most...get so few chances to go coast!!

My initial thinking was arctic, several have said pom, so who knows?

Once again, if anyone is upset, i'm sorry.I just like asking questions!!!

Paul

Paul

Last edited:
Patrington Haven

been out to pat haven a couple of times this week. jam packed with waders over high tide couple of curlew sands were the best birds.
also marsh harrier, short eared owl,kingfisher, little egret and ruff.
More shots on the blog.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    175.8 KB · Views: 94
  • untitled-6.JPG
    untitled-6.JPG
    154.9 KB · Views: 81
  • untitled-8.JPG
    untitled-8.JPG
    127.7 KB · Views: 86
  • untitled-14.JPG
    untitled-14.JPG
    138.1 KB · Views: 81
Last day of school holidays for our kids today, so for a spare couple of hours this afternoon me & my son headed down to Fairburn to see what was around.

Didn't have time to go around all the hides but we managed to see Tree Sparrow, Goldfinch, Greenfinch, Heron, Pheasant, Blue, Great & Willow Tit around Pickup Hide. A brief glimpse of a male Reed Bunting on the feeders on the way back to the centre. I think the wind meant everything else was keeping it's head down

Headed to Lin Dyke & from the hide there we saw Greylag, Red Legged Partridge, Curlew & a Peregrine tried it's luck over the lake before being seen off by a Kestrel. A few Godwits & a Ruff were also seen.

Richard

I saw what I am 99.99% certain was a nightjar late on Sunday night.

We were out doing some rabbiting on a farm near Beverley (normal chalk wold land) when the bird jumped up from a set-aside field margin when disturbed by the strong lamp we use for illuminating the bunnies. It was kestrel shaped but smaller, had both dark stripes and white patches on the wings (as described by the other observers in the car) all I personally could make out was its shape /size and incredibly bright reflective eyes. It was in view for perhaps 10 seconds as it flew left to right across our front, at its nearest it was was 15m away.

strangely enough we saw another in the neighbouring field three years ago, but on that occasion could not discern any plumage features, it was a speculative id based on body shape/size and very reflective eyes.

I saw what I am 99.99% certain was a nightjar late on Sunday night.

We were out doing some rabbiting on a farm near Beverley (normal chalk wold land) when the bird jumped up from a set-aside field margin when disturbed by the strong lamp we use for illuminating the bunnies. It was kestrel shaped but smaller, had both dark stripes and white patches on the wings (as described by the other observers in the car) all I personally could make out was its shape /size and incredibly bright reflective eyes. It was in view for perhaps 10 seconds as it flew left to right across our front, at its nearest it was was 15m away.

strangely enough we saw another in the neighbouring field three years ago, but on that occasion could not discern any plumage features, it was a speculative id based on body shape/size and very reflective eyes.

Sounds right with the underwing white spots....another ID thing, if you've never seen one before, is their distinctive flight...IMO it looks quite mechanical, a bit stiff winged, almost like a windup toy...... Ring any bells ...? :t:
Cheers Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back