• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gold Finch or half inch! (1 Viewer)

Revles

Yesterday, Easter Monday, we had our first ever Gold Finch on our feeder...I have spotted many of these over the years but never one like this...the colours were truly amazingly rich but the bird itself was smaller that a blue tit, certainly no more than about 3 inches from top to tail. Is this a one off or are there others about ? Les.

Les.....hope you dont mind me pointing out to you....TODAY is Easter Monday!!!

We have goldfinch on our feeders every day, lots of them and yes, they do have lovely rich colour but I am surprised that you say it was smaller than a blue tit.... the ones we have here are ALL much bigger than blue tits..... Are you sure it was a goldfinch??? :h?:

Goldfinch

Val...yes, it was definitely a gold finch and exactly as I described it..a tiny bird with vivid colours...I'm not the most brilliant at bird identification but there is absolutely no doubt it was a gold finch...Les.

Strange, Goldfinches certainly aren't "tiny". Were there any other birds around at the time? What size was it compared to them?

I have seen numerous Gold Finches..there is no doubt this was one..the smallest one I have ever seen...in my garden about 6 ft away...and smaller than a blue tit....whilst I fgeel a bit of a prat I really must stick to my guns....I know what I saw. Les.

just read your thread and i had a similar experience the other day.
Whilst watching 2 goldfinches on our niger seed feeder my girlfriend asked why there was a difference in size between the two ?? I replied something along the lines of,there isn't...............................!! but lo and behold one of them was noticeably different in size,i wouldn't say blue tit size but there was a definite difference.
So yours may not be the only one.

finchy said:
just read your thread and i had a similar experience the other day.
Whilst watching 2 goldfinches on our niger seed feeder my girlfriend asked why there was a difference in size between the two ?? I replied something along the lines of,there isn't...............................!! but lo and behold one of them was noticeably different in size,i wouldn't say blue tit size but there was a definite difference.
So yours may not be the only one.

Thank goodness for that ...I thought I had lost it!The interesting thing is, of course,that species do change and modify..breeding, environmental factors etc can all play a part...they adapt. It will be interesting to see if any more small gold finches turn up in other areas. Thanks....Les.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back