• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sightron "Blue Sky" II 8x32 (2 Viewers)

Hi, I just registered to report I ordered a pair of the Sightron BlueSky-II 8x32 to see what all the fuss is about. These do look like a great size and weight at a very good price (Optics Planet still has 10% off coupon so something like $161 right now). Weight is important to me as I often carry a lot of other gear. They also seem to make a great loaner pair. I almost got the 9x Pentax DCF WP variety at a good price, but the coupon and my preference for 8x in this size binocular won out. Thanks to everyone for the research on these.

I've been having a bit of binocular nostalgia this past weekend picking up a pair of old Minolta EZ 7x35. I was still upset that I had lost a pair more than a decade ago. I don't know if I will like them as much as I did way back, but I just wanted to have them as part of my test base. I remember a wonderful 3D wide view with close focusing. No one seems to talk about these oldies much that I can find; or any of the Minolta compacts either which I remember being very bright compared to the competition many years ago.

My current standard that I love is the Canon 10x42 L WP IS binoculars, I'm really surprised these are not more popular. To me they present one amazingly beautiful view, they are a bit heavy though when I'm carrying other gear. Shocked that more birders and nature observers don't like these. Ultimately I decided though I want to carry binoculars more often and the weight and bulk of these can get in the way with some camera gear or other outfit. Eventually I might try a more traditional 10x binocular, but I can't image even the best optics can make up the for the image stabilization; maybe they can come close with reduced weight though.

I can't remember the small pair that was lost a long time ago (I think they were Minolta), but they were replaced by the Nikon Prostaff 8x25 which have been great; they usually stay in the car except during the really cold months. I really like the view on these as well. They are getting a couple of friends this week, the most exciting will be the Swarovski 8x25 CL Pocket. I figure I usually use the big glass or the small glass so worth spending the money there, and they provide a good reference point.

My mid-sized binocular was/is the Vanguard Endeavor ED 8420. Got these at $200 which is not that much more than the SBKII. They seem very picky on eye position (glasses wearer) even though they have lots of eye-relief. I'm really not that impressed with them. Curvature seems quite high also, but maybe because I'm use to the flat-field of the Canon IS. I can't really say much about them as they rarely get used. Just don't seem to work that well for me. I will try to use them more though just to get to know them even if I part with them.

I guess my other binoculars are mid-sized as well with some porro Nikons I got to replace the Minolta's years back. I preferred the Minolta, but they were not made anymore, the roofs were starting.

My nostalgia took over on the weekend and besides the Minolta I picked up a pair of Nikon E II as well so I'll have a fairly decent set of porro for reference and in case the Minolta don't wow me anymore these should be nice.

I have a pair of Pentax 8x21 compacts also with the really close focusing of a little more than a ft I think, but I've not used those in a long time as I don't need the close focusing at this time. I had two pairs of these at one time and one got lost, but that was a long time ago and the backup set just stayed in their box.

I'm excited to do some binocular mini tests out on the marshes in the coming weeks.

Thanks again, I never knew about this forum until a few days ago and it was a good place to read up on the latest optics, and some older ones. I'm happy to see some of the advances used in photographic lenses are now quickly migrating to binocular designs. So far the forum has twisted my arm to try the SBKII and the EII, but also put my eye on the Conquest HD and SF series which I think I'll be able to resist for a little while. The information on Kowa, Vortex was also very valuable and could cost be a bit more money in the future.

Last edited:
Congrat's on your purchase of one of, if not THE best "bang for the buck" binocular made. I was using mine just yesterday evening, again. I keep them handy at all times and all they do is deliver a great image in an incredibly handy and lightweight package.

I enjoy shooting sports and was at a competition recently. There was going to be a need to locate the shots during the competition, and I chose to take my BSII's along for the job - mostly because of the good image quality and super light weight. They performed beautifully on both the sunlit and shaded targets, and at lunchtime my fellow competitors asked me "what kind of binoculars are those?" as they were all sporting much larger and more expensive optics. I passed my 8x32's around and to the person, the reaction was "WOW! These are amazing!" They immediately asked how much I paid for them, and half the group thought I was teasing them when I told them. They simply could not believe the image those BSII's produced for a fraction of the cost of the binoculars they were using (mostly Nikons and Vortex).

This is becoming a common scene when I take my Sightron's into a group of optics users.

For FrankD and BFers in the UK

Thank you Frank,

Without your publicity to this product, I would never have known about it. 
I bought a pair of Blue Sky Sightron SII 8x 32 last Tuesday, 21 July 2015, from Optics Trade in Slovenia. I had never had any contact with them before.

During the ordering process I was warned that there could be a delay of 3-4 weeks. The next day I received an email with a tracking number for the Slovenian Post Office. The tracking site advised that the parcel had arrived in the UK on the Wednesday.

However, Royal Mail tracking did not recognize the number: I phoned RM and was told that the parcel was in customs for a prohibited imports check. Friday morning the RM Track and Trace did not recognize the number: an hour later the postman delivered the parcel. I suppose one should not criticize Royal Mail, for Slovenia has only been a member of the EU for eleven years, and it will take them some time to get things right!

Before buying from Optics Trade. circa £168, I found a UK based company with them for sale at £247. A company in the USA is selling them on Fleabay and, with delivery and import fees, the cost was “estimated” at about £151. I am not best pleased with Fleabay at the moment so I ordered from Optics Trade about whom I have no complaint whatsoever.

Yesterday, Friday, was a typical English summer’s day, continuous rain and drizzle so I put some winter clothes on, opened the patio doors and watched “our” birds at the feeder in the gloom. So far I am very pleased with the Sightrons.

Thank you again Frank

The-Wanderer

I would think that with all the commission checks Frank has received from Sightron over the past three years, he's got enough money by now to buy an alpha! ;)

Frank has a nose like a bloodhound when it comes to sniffing out the "best bang for your buck" in sports optics. That term used to almost exclusively apply to porros, but since there's now a dearth of porros, and almost all of which are the entry level and since Chinbins (and Filipino bins) are improving greatly in quality (though not as greatly in quality control), many of the "best bangs" today in binoculars are found in the entry-level and mid-priced level. Wherever there's a bargain bin to be had, you'll find Frank on the forefront. So I will add to your appreciation of Frank's "publicity" of these bargain bins. :clap:

He almost had me ready to buy a Sightron since 6,307,200 people can't be wrong (except in a presidential election :).

Frank even had me looking seriously as the BS II until I found contentment with another "best bang for your buck," the 8x32 Terra ED.

I'd like to see a shoot out between the Signtron and Terra if anyone owns or has tried both. See if the Terra is worth the extra couple hundred bucks or if the difference is mainly for that tiny blue shield.

Hope it stops raining so you can get out and "wander" around with your new Sightrons!

The-Wanderer

Dion

I would think that with all the commission checks Frank has received from Sightron over the past three years, he's got enough money by now to buy an alpha! ;)

Frank has a nose like a bloodhound when it comes to sniffing out the "best bang for your buck" in sports optics. That term used to almost exclusively apply to porros, but since there's now a dearth of porros, and almost all of which are the entry level and since Chinbins (and Filipino bins) are improving greatly in quality (though not as greatly in quality control), many of the "best bangs" today in binoculars are found in the entry-level and mid-priced level. Wherever there's a bargain bin to be had, you'll find Frank on the forefront. So I will add to your appreciation of Frank's "publicity" of these bargain bins. :clap:

He almost had me ready to buy a Sightron since 6,307,200 people can't be wrong (except in a presidential election :).

Frank even had me looking seriously as the BS II until I found contentment with another "best bang for your buck," the 8x32 Terra ED.

I'd like to see a shoot out between the Signtron and Terra if anyone owns or has tried both. See if the Terra is worth the extra couple hundred bucks or if the difference is mainly for that tiny blue shield.

Hope it stops raining so you can get out and "wander" around with your new Sightrons!

The-Wanderer

Dion
Another hilaric response. 3:)

Last edited:
First Impressions - Great Deal

Today was the first chance I had getting out with the Sightron BSII binocular on a fairly large marsh. Not much was happening some shore birds of the smaller more common sandpipers. The only heron I got the glasses on was a large grey but he was a ways out. I could not stop to watch some closer white ones (great egret) or they would have flown off. An eagle on a perch and some various other birds and flora.

The binocular performed very well. It has a bit of a warm tint but worked well for near and far targets. The CCW focus was easy to adapt to, but it would be better if it was CW.

I only had a chance to really compare it side-by-side to the Swarovski 8x25 CL Pocket and under normal lighting it held it's own. A little different view seemed more immersed, and a warmer/different tint. As the sun was setting the S-CL-P had more of an advantage in color and detail. With the CL one of the things you are getting for your money is full spectrum light transmission (well fuller than the BSII). This helps with color and with low light as the sun sets and the color temperature changes drastically.

I can say these are one heck of a buy at the current $160-$180 price range. The weight is also very nice.

I didn't have a chance to compare them with the EII yet, but at less than 1/2 the price they will certainly still qualify as a bargain.

Last edited:
Brock,

Can anyone else join in seeking Franks opinion? Last week i bought, sight unseen, a pair of Vanguard Endeavor 10x42 EDII bins because they ranked sixth in Allbinos rankings with alphas above and below and just above the Nikon SE porros.

I bought them from Slovenia at about £330. I am not sure what they cost on your side of the pond.

They look good to me but what do I know, i am just a novice who has not, dares not, look through an alpha.

Brock,

Can anyone else join in seeking Franks opinion? Last week i bought, sight unseen, a pair of Vanguard Endeavor 10x42 EDII bins because they ranked sixth in Allbinos rankings with alphas above and below and just above the Nikon SE porros.

I bought them from Slovenia at about £330. I am not sure what they cost on your side of the pond.

They look good to me but what do I know, i am just a novice who has not, dares not, look through an alpha.
If you're looking for opinions on the Vanguard 10x42 EDII, you should probably be posting in a different thread. They currently retail in the US at $500. They are in a very crowded market right now.

DIY Sightron Binocular Tripod Mount

JBT

I said I would try to make a DIY tripod adapter for the Sightron BSII.

I finished the prototype this morning after receiving from a fleabay vendor in the UK two Velcro straps. I ordered them in 50mm width and 40 cm long. The pair cost £3.45 next day delivered.

The images, attached show the finished prototype.

One image shows the Velbon type mount: in fact one purchased from China that fits not only my Velbon heads but Manfrotto ones as well, without modification. I used a bolt, washers and nut to affix the Velcro strap to a small sheet of plastic off-cut that I had in my garage. I made the hole in the Velcro using an electric soldering iron which sealed the periphery from fraying.

The offset is from a sheet that is 4.5mm thick but plywood would do just as well. It is fairly rigid but does bend so it is not brittle . The long side is 102mm and the short side is 94mm. My IPD is 64mm so the long side may need to be longer if you have a greater IPD.

In order to provide friction between the plastic and the armouring of the Sightron, I adhered two thin sheets of rubber to the plastic with double sided carpet tape.

When I next go to a grocery store, I will buy some chewing gum, although I hate the stuff, to put over the exposed nut to protect the armouring in the event of mishap.

It seems to work fine, although, for me, it is unlikely to be necessary at 8x magnification - 10x would be different.

It only cost me the £3.45 as I had a spare quick release plate, and I still have the spare Velcro strap.

Attachments

• P1090157r1.jpg
    P1090157r1.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 287
  • P1090156r1.jpg
    P1090156r1.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 319
  • P1090155r1.jpg
    P1090155r1.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 299
  • P1090154r1.jpg
    P1090154r1.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 303
  • P1090153r1.jpg
    P1090153r1.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 289
Last edited:
Thanks for sharing that. Looks like I'll give that a go. I agree that it might be a bit overkill to use with 8x but it's mainly for my kids because they still have a hard time free handing binoculars and they still prefer to use them with a tripod not matter what the magnification.

JBT,

I tried the mount with my new 10x42 Endeavors and it works a treat. I tried using the tripod exit on the front hinge but have an aversion to cantileveing the bins in this way - in my view not a good means to support open hinge bins. I made a propped cantilever device but it is not as easy to use.

I will paint my prototype today and not bother making a more refined one. All in all I am very pleased with it.

Two weeks from today marks the 4 year anniversary to the review of this thread. I don't remember how long I owned the bin prior to posting the review but felt the need to mention the anniversary. At the time, from what I remember, the long term durability of these bins came in to question. I can, satisfactorily say, that after four years of regular use I have had zero issues with this binocular and continue to use it regularly. Glad to see that it is still in the Sightron lineup.

P.S. A little birdie on another forum mentioned that a recent purchase of the Blue Sky S II shows a change to the coatings. He reports a slightly brighter and more neutral color tone to the image. Almost sounds like I need to investigate that further. ;)

Two weeks from today marks the 4 year anniversary to the review of this thread. I don't remember how long I owned the bin prior to posting the review but felt the need to mention the anniversary. At the time, from what I remember, the long term durability of these bins came in to question. I can, satisfactorily say, that after four years of regular use I have had zero issues with this binocular and continue to use it regularly. Glad to see that it is still in the Sightron lineup.

P.S. A little birdie on another forum mentioned that a recent purchase of the Blue Sky S II shows a change to the coatings. He reports a slightly brighter and more neutral color tone to the image. Almost sounds like I need to investigate that further. ;)

Well, four years of babying them can hardly be a test of durability. Now if you dropped them a meter on a concrete floor, then we'd know if they would hold up better than the $2,600 Zeiss SF. :smoke:

Or if you shot it with a shot gun at close range, then we'd know if it held up better than the Conquest HD. :smoke:

Or if you ran them over with a truck, we'd know how they held up against the Steiner 15x80 Senator. :smoke:

But as it is, all we know is how they held up around your neck, which isn't much of a test unless you got a neck like a bull. ;)

Congrats! on your 4-year anniversary and many more to come.

Brock

Brock,

Thank you.

They do qualify for one of your listed criteria. Two years ago they were dropped on a macadam parking area from slightly more than a meter. No collimation issues and only a slight mark on the rubber outside the edge of the objective. ;)

Brock,

They do qualify for one of your listed criteria. Two years ago they were dropped on a macadam parking area from slightly more than a meter. No collimation issues and only a slight mark on the rubber outside the edge of the objective. ;)

Mine dropped closer to 2 meters onto a hardwood floor with no issues whatsoever. Operator error in threading a different strap. I have only dropped a binocular once before (a Zeiss Jena Deltrintem 8 x 30 porro 15 years ago from a much smaller height) with total loss of collimation so the Sightron's survival unharmed is an amazement.

Well, four years of babying them can hardly be a test of durability. Now if you dropped them a meter on a concrete floor, then we'd know if they would hold up better than the $2,600 Zeiss SF. :smoke:

Or if you shot it with a shot gun at close range, then we'd know if it held up better than the Conquest HD. :smoke:

Or if you ran them over with a truck, we'd know how they held up against the Steiner 15x80 Senator. :smoke:

But as it is, all we know is how they held up around your neck, which isn't much of a test unless you got a neck like a bull. ;)

Congrats! on your 4-year anniversary and many more to come.

Brock

I've dropped mine - intentionally - from a tree stand 15' in the air onto some pretty firm ground. I was climbing down from my tree after an evening sit (bowhunting deer) and they got hung up on a branch. Because of the awkward position I was in, it was easier and safer for me to take them off from around my neck and just drop them with one hand, than to do anything else. So I did. Tried to land them on my backpack, which was already on the ground, but I missed.

No biggie. They bounced and then carried on. No issues whatsoever. I figured since they were so light, they would just land softly and bounce, and they did.

I was pretty confident when I decided to drop them, that nothing would happen to them. I was right.

Still my favorite pair of midsize binocs ever. I'm not at all worried if I beat them up because I never plan to sell them.

Three units surviving a drop test of varying heights and varying surfaces. Hardly conclusive but pretty compelling. ;)

I do agree that their light weight and overall weight distribution probably have a lot to do with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back