• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Another 7D Mk1 problem (1 Viewer)

glazzers

My 7D has just started to tell me:

" Cannot communicate with the battery". It was fine yesterday.

I have tried the fix of removing bottom plate and inserting the so called missing screw but to no avail. I have also tried 2 different batteries.

The camera still works but i get no battery reading usage and I understand it will drain quickly.

Any ideas

Is it an OEM or a non OEM battery?
With my 1DX it will not communicate with my third party batteries and the camera has to be told to use the battery anyway - works just fine after that.
Do you run your batteries low often? If not does the lack of a battery meter really matter? The camera will shut down before it over discharges the battery regardless of the brand. For any appliance using multiple lithium cells (your camera uses a 2 cell pack) this is a standard feature to prevent battery/camera damage.
Personall I am quite happy to work without a battery meter - but it depends what you are doing, might not be a good idea for weddings!

John.It is the normal Canon battery. The camera works ok when told to continue but as of today I have never seen this message before. i would rather have the battery meter working than not. according to the internet this has been quite a common problem but I cannot find how to rectify apart from about a £300 bill by sending back to Canon

It sounds like it may be a problem with the circuitry inside the battery. Do you have access to another battery to try? If another battery works OK then it is probably a battery problem, if not then the problem may be in your camera - hope it's not!
Let us know how you get on.

Sorry to hear of your problem, as I too have a 7D. Have you tried removing both the normal battery and the Date/Time cell for say, 24 hours? (p 251 in my Manual.)

It's a common 7d fault. Most rectify themselves over time, mine took 9 months though. Originally the Canon battery was faulty, I was on holiday and bought a Hahnel one. I charged the battery and it would drain practically overnight. I charged again and left it out overnight and it kept it's charge.

So, for along time I just removed it when I wasn't shooting. A pain yes, but I wasn't shooting a lot then so I stuck it out. Then, suddenly one day it started to read everything again and it worked ever since. I personally blame the Canon battery failing, which I think caused the problem.

Good luck on a speedy outcome..........

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back