• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

image stabillity with 7x50 and 8x42 binoculars. (1 Viewer)

Jake21

for those of you who have used both 8 x 42 and 7 x 50 binoculars, did you notice a big difference in image stability?

for those of you who have used both 8 x 42 and 7 x 50 binoculars, did you notice a big difference in image stability?

A big difference. It's a lot easier for your mind to stabilize 7x.
Easier still at 6x. But 8x gives you more detail, and faster, and
for most people it's stable enough. A quick all-around scan is best at 6x,
possible at 7x, blurred at 8x. But...most people have a look at 1x (eyes),
and point at an item of interest at 8x, and see the plumage quicker.
8x helps a lot with distance too. Shake starts to erode that advantage at 10x,
and it's extremely hard to follow a critter close in.

I liketo use lower power and wider field if I go somewhere new to me
and dense/close. 8x if you know about where you'll be looking or
the sounds can steer you. 6x30 is great if your target is zipping around,
though. The mind knows what's 'off screen' well at that power.

nice to see you again OPTIC NUT. I like scanning the thick trees for quiet and well hidden birds with my binoculars rather than with my naked eyes. it's one of the main things I like about 7 x 50 binoculars.

Last edited:
I scan the thick trees too. 7x50s or 6x30s.
7x35 x-wides sometimes, but it's information overload on a sweep.
If there are bugs or distractions, the 7x50s get you back to business
after a mosquito swat a little sooner. Another benefit of the 7mm exit pupil.
Many of the oldies are surprisingly light. They don't have thick rubber armor.

Hello Jake,

I find that an 8x42 is fine when viewing things close to the horizon. When I point much above the horizon, the 8x42 is less stable than the 7x50.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

If your hands are stable, i.e. no shakiness and the bins are approximately the same weight (no marine bins) then I don't think you will notice a big difference in image stability. I don't notice much difference in image stability going between 6x30 Swarovski and Nikon 8x30.

Can you try both at a binocular shop? That would be the best way to evaluate how each works for you.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back