• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help buying binocular sunshades from Germany (1 Viewer)

HighNorth

Hi!

Anyone with an address in Germany want to help me out?

I want to buy these rubber sunshades for my Swarovski 8x32 EL SV and Zeiss 8x42 SF binoculars, but the shop only delivers to Germany!

I would like to order these shades delivered to a person with an address in Germany, who could then send them to me by mail.

I will of course cover any expenses (postage etc.) you might have.

If you are interested in helping, please send me a personal message! ;)

Hi HN,

The same lens shields are available from triebel-shop.com and they do ship to EU, but are you sure they are not too long, e.g., for the SV 8x32? I am interested to hear what you think of them, as IMO glare is the only real issue of the SV.

Peter.

Hi HN,

The same lens shields are available from triebel-shop.com and they do ship to EU, but are you sure they are not too long, e.g., for the SV 8x32? I am interested to hear what you think of them, as IMO glare is the only real issue of the SV.

Peter.

Hi Peter! Thanks for the link! I will check it out. I'm not sure why you think the shades would be too long for the 8x32 SV. I have seen pictures of them fitted to the 8x30 Habicht, so why wouldn't they fit the 8x32 SV? If they are too long, and interfere with the objective lenses, I could always cut them down to size. Anyway, I will keep you posted! ;)

HN

Okay, I see there has been some confusion. I am thinking of buying the rifle scope lens shades (not what the company calls binocular shades), which are indeed quite long.

HN

Hi HN,

(Btw, typing on the iPad is a pain, sorry for any typos)

I was speaking about length, as you have guessed, but I agree that the manufacturer's description of the shades is imprecise....for example they are said to be telescopic, but that seems to be incorrect. Maybe you should ask Oetzi if they work well etc. Personally I believe that the SV 8x32 might benefit of this type of shades, yet I am hesitating to mount them on the bin and spoil its good looks! Also one would need to remove them when putting the bins back in the case, right?

As a side note, I have been last week in Oslo and could not find a single store carrying high-end bins! The reason seems to be that people go to a brick and mortar store usually only for checking out bins, buying is done typically online....

Best, Peter.

Hi HN,

(Btw, typing on the iPad is a pain, sorry for any typos)

I was speaking about length, as you have guessed, but I agree that the manufacturer's description of the shades is imprecise....for example they are said to be telescopic, but that seems to be incorrect. Maybe you should ask Oetzi if they work well etc. Personally I believe that the SV 8x32 might benefit of this type of shades, yet I am hesitating to mount them on the bin and spoil its good looks! Also one would need to remove them when putting the bins back in the case, right?

As a side note, I have been last week in Oslo and could not find a single store carrying high-end bins! The reason seems to be that people go to a brick and mortar store usually only for checking out bins, buying is done typically online....

Best, Peter.

Hi Peter!

Yes, I sent Oetzi a message, but he seems to be on vacation or something (driving his beer-filled wohnmobil around Europe, no doubt!) ;)

I used to think that the shades would spoil the looks of the binocular too, but then I realised I would much rather have improved optical performance than a good looking binocular.

In any case, the shades are flexible rubber, so you should be able to twist them on and off when desired, and put them away in your pocket or something when they are not needed.

As for the relative lack of brick-and-mortar shops carrying high end bins in Norway, I think the reasons for this is mixed, including a relative small and dispersed population, high rents in central areas and the fact that Norwegians are among the most internet-connected people in the world, so buying online is simply second nature to us.

As for me, living in the middle of nowhere above the Arctic circle, I have little choice but to buy online. The cost of traveling to the nearest large town with a brick-and-mortar shop will almost always be higher than ordering online, especially because many online shops offer free delivery. In addition, even the biggest b&m shops will seldom stack the full range of high-end bins anyway, leaving you unable to compare them side by side...

That said, I did actually buy my 8x32 EL SV as a demo bin from a brick-and-mortar shop, so never say never! ;)

HN

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back