• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vireo (1 Viewer)

KCFoggin said:
You've got yourself a Ruby-crowned Kinglet Searobin! Broken eye ring and bold wing bars.

KC I would be shocked if this was a Kinglet. I had a benefit of seeing it in the field and this bird looked too big for it. Also there is too much yellow and it’s feet aren’t orange like Kinglet should have.
Here is another pic:

Attachments

• IMG_4488.JPG
    IMG_4488.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 108
Ya know what, you are right. The yellow spectacles should have stood right out to me on first glance. :(

KCFoggin said:
Ya know what, you are right. The yellow spectacles should have stood right out to me on first glance. :(

The first picture gives an impression of a smaller and much rounder bird, like a Kinglet.

It's a !st-year White-eyed. The iris lightens during winter although some birds retain a dark iris until the following spring. The supercilum above the lores also becomes more pronounced. On juvenile birds this tends to be white but becomes more yellow as the winter progresses.

They have an easily identifiable song. It begins and ends with a strong chick note. chick "warbel warble warble" chick. In my local patch, no other bird sounds like this.

buckskin hawk said:
They have an easily identifiable song. It begins and ends with a strong chick note. chick "warbel warble warble" chick. In my local patch, no other bird sounds like this.

Best way I have heard the song described is that they say "Quick, give me a beer, quick" or "Quick, give me the beer, check".

affe22 said:
Best way I have heard the song described is that they say "Quick, give me a beer, quick" or "Quick, give me the beer, check".

Quick, give me a beer, Quick is easier to remember. Maybe the White eyed is answering the Olive-sided Flycatcher's "quick free beers".

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back