• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My feeding station (1 Viewer)

psilo

For several years I have had an allotment on the edge of mature deciduous woodland that dates back to the 12th century. I have always watched the birds there but it is only this winter that I decided to set up a feeding station there. At present I have a peanut feeder, and several stumps that are regularly filled up with sunflower hearts and seeds to attract a wide variety of birds. My son and I also planted an 8 foot tree trunk upon which I have gouged out holes and filled with a fat and seed mix.

It didnt take along before I had a huge range of birds visiting. I have a pair of nuthatch that eat me out of house and home and was delighted to watch the male feeding the female yesterday. A male greater spotted woodpecker comes onto the trunk but will not feed if I am even sat in my car he is so wary but I am hoping he will get used to me.

Other birds include chaffinch, greenfinch, goldfinch, blue, great, coal and long tailed tits, robins (3 at present who are fighting it out for territory) dunnocks (again 3) a pair of wrens nesting in a laurel bush very close by. Blackbirds, song and mistle thrush, jays, a pair of magpies, brambling (a small flock present all week)and treecreeper. A female sparrowhawk has also found the feeding area and has swooped low several times though caught nothing and the kestrel comes over regularly too.

My site is south facing, very open and bright so on a nice day the light is superb. Nothing gives me greater pleasure when i have been working hard then to just sit and watch and get to know the birds around me. Everyday is different and you just never know what is going to happen next.....

Attachments

• 1243902.jpg
    1243902.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 110
  • 1244389.jpg
    1244389.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 110
  • 1244560.jpg
    1244560.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 134
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back