• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I'm beginning to dislike house sparrows (1 Viewer)

grobble

The colony living in my front hedge had a good breeding season and doubled their number.

Now they're dominating all the feeders and they're nasty natured, seeing off any blue tit or finch that dares to start feeding, even from the Niger feeder which the sparrows can't get at and don't eat anyway.

I realise we can't dictate which birds eat the food we put out but it would be nice to see them all get a chance.

Try putting some ground feeding trays down in another part of the garden, it should take the sparrows off the feeders, of course it will attract Woodpigeons etc, but It worked for me.

Over here, the House Sparrows do not take to sunflower hearts & safflower seed. When I switched over to that their numbers at my feeders reduced vastly.

Try putting some ground feeding trays down in another part of the garden, it should take the sparrows off the feeders, of course it will attract Woodpigeons etc, but It worked for me.

I wish! There's usually plenty of bread or pastry under the feeders but they ignore it in favour of hanging on the fatballs and peanuts.

They're such a contrast to the Dunnocks which spend all their time feeding on the ground, bothering none.

We used to get loads of 'em. Not any more....once a month one comes in the garden.
Why the localised differences ? What was the reason for the decline ?
There are still some dense colonies and yet some big areas devoid of any sparrows. Enjoy them while they are still around, I'm missing them now, they are noisy and bold but great cheeky characters nonetheless.

It's a shame to see them declining in the UK, but we have too many over here in the USA. Up to 20 at a time visit our feeders. They eat anything we put out, tho suet seems to be their favorite.
Jeff

My impression round here is that there was a big decline a few years ago, but then a pretty steady revival till this year, when there has been an explosion in their population.

And yes, they are monopolising feeders at the expense of tits in particular.

David

I like having sparrows, and am pleased to have seen an increase in numbers this year.... but perhaps the answer is more feeders?

And it may be rather unscientific, but I also find that the extra long feeders (with 6 or 8 holes) tend not to get used as much by the sparrows, or if they do, they only use the top 2 holes.... my conclusion is that the larger feeders swing about a lot more meaning more "aerial skill" is needed to use them, discouraging sparrows and encouraging tits! Probably nonsense, but seems to be the case here.

And my niger feeder is in a different place, so only gets goldfinches (and occasional siskins).

About a month ago I was getting 20+ in the garden but now only about half that. I witnessed a double strike of a sparrowhawk and a cat reduce that number by 2 in a fraction of a second. I would rather have them than not and they don't seem to bully any other bird that visits.

A quick reference on Sparrow populations: http://www.bto.org/news-events/press-releases/good-news-house-sparrows

Thoughts on offering feeders to other birds, perhaps try putting Sunflower Hearts (Sparrows tend to prefer mixed seeds with millets etc) in a feeder better suited for clinging birds. Sparrows, though they've adapted well to garden feeders, are naturally a ground feeder so struggle more with feeders which don't offer easy perching. Have a look at the Jacobi Jayne Clingers Only seed feeder.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back