• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Terra ED 8x42 is Now In Stock (1 Viewer)

Since I only care about IQ, all the Terra has to do is exceed the HT's meager ~67% of central sharpness, as MEASURED by our Dutch Professor friend, to be a winner.:t:

We get it, after the 10th post - you don't want one.........move on then.

Really though, there are about 30-40 user reports in the big thread, with about 3 complaining about sweetspot size, doesn't seem to rate around here as the big problem some wish it was.........

Last edited:
I see no problem with an affordable Zeiss myself.

Porsche for example offer an "affordable" first tier sports car,and it works for that premier German manufacturer.

Maybe. The last time Porsche tried to go budget was the 924S, 1986-1988. It didn't work. They haven't tried anything like that since. They went upscale in 1989 ($50k+) and stayed there.

But not before selling me a 1987 924S for a bit more than the price of a Toyota Supra or a Nissan 280Z. What a steal! I still have it, still drive it. I haven't seen a Supra or Z from that era in 15 years. ;)

So maybe the Zeiss Terra is the same sort of animal? At least take it for a test drive before dismissing it.

Of course, my Porsche was made by Audi, not some nameless Chinese optics giant.

But who knows? Times change.

I need another bino like I need an extra hole in my head so I'm afraid the testing is up to others.

Big thanks to Bob for giving it a go. :t:

Mark

Nicely put Brock.

I see no problem with an affordable Zeiss myself.

Porsche for example offer an "affordable" first tier sports car,and it works for that premier German manufacturer.

All it needs to succeed is to be a "Zeiss", unlike the "could do better" school report CL.

Porsche did learn from the 924, the Boxster is its successor. Of course the price is now 50-70K, but entry level brands are now around 20K, so the Boxster is clearly 'affordable' by some standards.

If the quality is maintained, there is no reason why Zeiss should not be a mass market brand for binoculars just as it already is for eye glasses.

Porsche did learn from the 924, the Boxster is its successor. Of course the price is now 50-70K, but entry level brands are now around 20K, so the Boxster is clearly 'affordable' by some standards.

If the quality is maintained, there is no reason why Zeiss should not be a mass market brand for binoculars just as it already is for eye glasses.

I think what Porsche learned back then is that no one wanted a cheap Porsche, no matter if it was 98% of a 944, which it was. I'm not saying that makes sense, just saying that's what happened.

But times have changed--maybe.

The Boxster/Cayman is a whole different animal. Yowza. If I was 25 years younger and still cared much for cars...

I still have the 924S, but mostly drive a Subaru and a Ford F-150. How the mighty have fallen...:-O

Mark

Maybe. The last time Porsche tried to go budget was the 924S, 1986-1988. It didn't work. They haven't tried anything like that since. They went upscale in 1989 ($50k+) and stayed there.

But not before selling me a 1987 924S for a bit more than the price of a Toyota Supra or a Nissan 280Z. What a steal! I still have it, still drive it. I haven't seen a Supra or Z from that era in 15 years. ;)

So maybe the Zeiss Terra is the same sort of animal? At least take it for a test drive before dismissing it.

Of course, my Porsche was made by Audi, not some nameless Chinese optics giant.

But who knows? Times change.

I need another bino like I need an extra hole in my head so I'm afraid the testing is up to others.

Big thanks to Bob for giving it a go. :t:

Mark

You bugger you!

I had a 1987 924S for a few years in the mid 90's. Loved it, what a solid piece, and what a great cruiser........guards red of course.

It was actually 102% of a 944 - more aerodynamic = higher top speed and faster 0-60.

For me, a Porschephile already, it was a chance for a young guy to buy a Porsche. For me, it proved the brand was just as good as I had hoped - which has meant I have been in the market for a nice 911 ever since!

..... The fact that Zeiss is already a well known name in optics adds to the Terra ED's appeal rather than detracts from it --

Brock, this rather innocent statement just goes to show the conundrum Zeiss have placed themselves in ........ already you have the Terra ED "trading" on the Zeiss name. Brand loyalty is an anachronism for Generation CAULAOS (Complete And Utter Lack Of Attention Span). The only game in town, and the only chance for success (bottom line, and the battle for hearts and minds) is for Zeiss to "trade" on the Terra ED. We shall see what the puddin' tastes like.

An "affordable" Porsche though is a different animal (more akin to the Conquest HD level). This Terra HD wouldn't even get part way through the Boxsters options list before needing a hit from the Run Flat Tyre inflator can to prop it up .......

..... As to selling cheaper bins tarnishing the brand...Nikon makes everything from cheap non-p coated roofs (Trailblazer) to the ...... $2K+ EDG, .....

You really should ask Dennis how that strategy pans out for resale values of the EDG !! ;) ........... :smoke:

Chosun :gh:

So close to getting these...

Adorama got the 8x42 Terra's in. I viewed them at the Shot Show very good for the money.

Mike

And they are willing to buy your old equipment as credit towards new stuff. Anyone do this with them? And what level of credit did they give you for your stuff?

I owned a 911 tubro at one time, driving a F-150, Santa Fe, MKZ now. Still own my Lecia 8x50, Swarovski 10x42 EL SwaroVision, Vortex 8x42 Vipers Etc. I don't sell off my bino's. I would buy the Terra ED's I like them for the money, but they are not as good as the Nikon EII.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back