• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pyrenees Mysteries (1 Viewer)

A pair of them!!!! Flew up the valley while I was doing housework. Picture taken from the doorstep!

Very odd looking in this context. New challenge to follow.

It's a bird I've never seen, but when you said about Raven's tails it was the only thing I could think would fit the bill!!

Wher were you?
I saw my first one in Ordesa

I was near (I think its called) "forked stone" in Catalan?
not much help.

I saw / heard plenty on the French side near the col d tourmalet and bareges area.
Not been to Ordessa yet, its on my to do list.

I can't find a record of a Caracus in the Pyrenees.

Anyway, wait till you see some of my rubbish photos - then you might struggle!!

Happy xmas tout le monde...

Nobody got it so far!

Another picture of the same and a new bird...

Attachments

• mystery 2a.JPG
    mystery 2a.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 118
  • mstery 3.jpg
    mstery 3.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 115
Stone Curlew it is - the pictures weren't very good but the National Parks said they didn't exist here - even on passage - so had to get evidence!! Thought second picture would clear up the mystery.

Woodchat was nice. He dissappeared after five minutes never to be seen again. They sometimes breed in the area but generally in the plains...

glad you got the second picture of the stone curlew to prove it! I still can't find the head on the first one. We have a few breeding in a small area not far from here - virtually impossible to get close to.

There was a pair! Had a big flock about 4 years ago but no photo. Didn't think much of it as had 90 in Spain the year before...

Our local farmer, in Suffolk, used to move the eggs when he was ploughing nd then put them back afterwards. So been around them for years.

Difficult to spot and like you say difficult to get close to. (hence long shots) The 90, mentioned above, started off at 40, then 50 then got the scope and got to 90.... Awesome.

Ok

New Year and in the spirit of reviving quizzes here is another photo.

Attachments

• mystery 4.JPG
    mystery 4.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 98
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back