• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Velbon FHD-52Q Head (1 Viewer)

Nick Leech

United Kingdom
I am looking at the Velbon FHD-52Q Head but have found conflicting info on the internet as regards the weight of the head.

For example, this website:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...HD_52Q_FHD_52Q_2_Way_Fluid_Video_Panhead.html

.....gives the weight as 480g

Whereas this website:

http://www.microglobe.co.uk/velbon-fhd-52q-light-weight-fluid-pan-head-p-6673.html

.....gives the weight as 820g

Can someone who has this tripod head please confirm the correct weight?

Also, any views on this tripod head? Is it any good? eg does it have a smooth panning action?

I am intending to use this head with Velbon Ultra Luxi-L tripod legs or Slik Sprint Pro II tripod legs. To be used mainly with the lightweight Nikon ED50 scope.

Last edited:
Thanks Ron.

D'Oh!! I had looked at the Velbon website but hadn't scanned far enough down to find the FHD-52Q.

Anyone got this head and can give an opinion on it?

Nick,

I have not seen or tried the 52Q, but own and have used, on my lighter tripod, its predecessor, the FHD-51Q, which is about the same size but a rather different design in that it is all metal and the tilt is supported from one side only.

The 51Q as well as its bigger versions have good, smooth movement and can support pretty big loads without wobble or vibration. Their shortcomings have been the locking and friction being in the same lever, whereby you cannot leave the friction at your optimal setting when you lock the head. Also, with my +-2kg scopes, the tilt friction has been a bit too loose if I try to get smooth motion, and gets a bit jerky if tightened to the point where it won't flop. But, for the price/size/weight compromise it offers, it has been a good head.

The price of the 52Q is not bad, so please let us know what you think of it if you end up getting one.

Kimmo

Velbon FHD-52Q

Nick,

I have this head and use it on a velbon carbon fibre tripod also with a Nikon ED50. Yep, the weight is 482g according to the box. Pan and tilt action is smooth and both can be controlled with one hand. The pan action does tend to be either 'on' or 'off' but the tilt is fine. I have also used this head with my Swarovski 65mm and it isn't as nice, the tilt control has to be tightened up a lot more to stop the scope from flopping backwards or forwards. The quick release plate was also a little loose when fitted to the head, but this was quickly fixed by super gluing a square of plastic (side of an ice cream container) onto the head where the plate fits and its now a nice snug fit. On the whole I think its a nice head to use with the Nikon ED50.

Cheers,

Mark

The Velbon Ultra Luxi-L tripod seems to usually be packaged with the Velbon PHD-41Q head. Does anyone have experience of this head? How does it compare with the Velbon FHD-52Q head?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back