• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (12 Viewers)

Looks like it's shaping up for some decent seawatching tomorrow... Or even this evening if you're not stuck at work! Fife Ness has seen some Manx and Sooties this evening; there ought to be some off our coast by daybreak.

James

Looks like it's shaping up for some decent seawatching tomorrow... Or even this evening if you're not stuck at work! Fife Ness has seen some Manx and Sooties this evening; there ought to be some off our coast by daybreak.

James

Was just thinking exactly the same thing! Gonna do a few hours to see if some target species go through.

just out of intrest, where would be the best spot for sea watching tomorrow, cleythanks or sherringham? thanks

I guess either would be a good option! Maybe Sheringham being on a "corner" might mean birds come in closer as they follow the coast line?
Just speculation though.

Holme might be another option, they often do much better for l-t skuas, poms and corys... also they might be able to help the novice birder with identification...

Last edited:
Hi Guys & Gals

Just like to point out that Manxies can be seen most days from Fife Ness at this time of the year, as they stream into, up and then back out of the Forth. Sooties are a bit more sporadic, though any wind from the East will help. Numbers of Manxies are normally in double figures, though in a heavy NE 100's go past, Sooties are usually counted in terms of per hour, for instance on 6th Sept 2009, 58 past North in 6 hours.
Interesting thing is most of the shearwaters that go past head North!!
A new Fife Bird Club website is going to be up soon, and the plan is to have a more up-to-date news service, which hopefully, you'll all find useful for migrant bird movements.
Cheers
Malcolm

Hi Guys & Gals

Just like to point out that Manxies can be seen most days from Fife Ness at this time of the year, as they stream into, up and then back out of the Forth. Sooties are a bit more sporadic, though any wind from the East will help. Numbers of Manxies are normally in double figures, though in a heavy NE 100's go past, Sooties are usually counted in terms of per hour, for instance on 6th Sept 2009, 58 past North in 6 hours.
Interesting thing is most of the shearwaters that go past head North!!
A new Fife Bird Club website is going to be up soon, and the plan is to have a more up-to-date news service, which hopefully, you'll all find useful for migrant bird movements.
Cheers
Malcolm

I'm pretty sure Fife is not in Norfolk..?

I'm pretty sure Fife is not in Norfolk..?

Frootshoot's original post on the subject was alerting Norfolk birders to movement further up in the North Sea that may then funnel down the east coast on the northerly winds - would seem a good idea to have a 12-24 hour "heads up" on what may be coming Norfolk's way.

Frootshoot's original post on the subject was alerting Norfolk birders to movement further up in the North Sea that may then funnel down the east coast on the northerly winds - would seem a good idea to have a 12-24 hour "heads up" on what may be coming Norfolk's way.

OK, that makes sense. Thanks!

That was the general idea Phil... :t:

By the way, when most Nor-folk hear the name Tom Smith, they think... crackers! Not a pop my friend, just a little Norfolk hooomer 3:)

James

Oh well, the sea was rather disappointing this morning but if you don't look you don't see. It got no better than 2 early Manx west but for me, Manx are always worth getting up for...

James

Titchwell August 9th

A good day despite me cutting the islands in the middle of the fresh marsh and a digger and 30 ton dumper working on the seawall!!

Today’s highlights

Spotted redshank – 6 on fresh marsh
Greenshank – 1 on fresh marsh
Green sandpiper – 3 on fresh marsh
Spoonbill – 5 over reserve
Ruff – 30 on fresh marsh
Turtle dove – 1 west

Paul

"Wensum Valley raptor watchpoint at Swanton Novers NNR will be closing on Friday 12th August"
Is this true? or is this crossed wires in relation to the Great Ryburgh one?
Worrying times.

"Wensum Valley raptor watchpoint at Swanton Novers NNR will be closing on Friday 12th August"
Is this true? or is this crossed wires in relation to the Great Ryburgh one?
Worrying times.

Given the riots in London and the possible breakdown of the western economy I do not see the closure of a field in Norfolk where men with beards watch birds of prey as notable!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back