• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (7 Viewers)

A covey of at least 14 grey partridge this morning, in the village, some were sheltering very low down in the furrows. I don't believe they were put out as commercially raised birds as one or two were very richly marked, especially the one on lookout duties.

One of our visitors had carried it off the beach and left it by the path! All good fun. Paul

Some people just should not be let out on their own...:eek!::eek!::eek!:
MJB
PS Years back, I was involved in a little ordnance disposal, one being an evacuated police station where a helpful local had taken a sackful of fused shells he had found buried in the garden of his new house, which backed on to where surplus explosives had been buried (to save the paperwork) at the end of WW2

I was going to post about yesterdays jacket potato filling and my choice of ice cream whilst in the field, but I did not consider this informative or relevant to anything, least of all a thread about birding!!

I'm sure there must be a regular contributor to this thread who would've considered this most informative and relevant 3:)

A two hour early am seawatch from Mundesley this morning saw 2 Bonxies, 5 Arctic Skuas and 3 Red-throated Divers logged east and 3 Swifts which flew in before spending a while hawking offshore. Also on the beach was a colour ringed Black-headed Gull that had been marked as a 3cy+ bird in Norway in April 2004...

James

Last edited:
40 minutes (all the time I had) at Sheringham produced the following this afternoon:
Little Gull
3x Gannets
6x Sandwich Terns
5x Common Terns
Cormorant on sea
5x Eider
Manx Shearwater
Small sea duck species but very distant.

40 minutes (all the time I had) at Sheringham produced the following this afternoon:
Little Gull
3x Gannets
6x Sandwich Terns
5x Common Terns
Cormorant on sea
5x Eider
Manx Shearwater
Small sea duck species but very distant.

7th of Sept - what a fantastic list! South westerlies for at least another week, i'm anticipating a decent November

Quiz Time.

As I was casually flicking through RBA I saw a count of four Pectoral Sandpipers reported in Cornwall. Now I know this charming little calidris is the most common nearctic vagrant wader in Britain (well I should think the most common nearctic full stop) and I saw as many as three birds together last year in Northamptonshire. But I was wondering if anyone knew what the largest count of Pectoral Sandpiper to be seen in Britain together was? Or if anyone had heard of or seen a larger group than four, my knowledge will only stretch back less than two years as I have been away from birding nearly a decade.

Regards Kieran

Last edited:
Josh you need try this visualization stuff. I visualized an osprey over the car on Monday - awesome. Only problem being that I was in cambs. As for the poor quality of sherringham Seawatching, there is always drink and drugs. Alternatively you could always start a blog called argue bargy birding!!

Josh you need try this visualization stuff. I visualized an osprey over the car on Monday - awesome. Only problem being that I was in cambs. As for the poor quality of sherringham Seawatching, there is always drink and drugs. Alternatively you could always start a blog called argue bargy birding!!

I think a days seawatching on a certain large mammal tranquilizer would be one most memorable. I'd certainly like to read my own note book the day after.

6.00am: A steady stream of Flying Fish have been moving north, oddly.

6.76am: I figured out that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration – that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There's no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves.

Sometime after my watch melted: George W Bush's Sherwater.....heading east!!

Last edited:
Pec flexing. Re #12928

Kieran:

From a brief perusal of the RBA website, 4 seems to be the largest recent number. However, there isn’t the facility to filter out the single birds- and there are over 20 pages, before it becomes impossible to search further.

Perhaps they are able to do this internally.

I know that, 6 years ago, I looked over a marshy field in Texas, where there were over 50 !

Kieran:

From a brief perusal of the RBA website, 4 seems to be the largest recent number. However, there isn’t the facility to filter out the single birds- and there are over 20 pages, before it becomes impossible to search further.

Perhaps they are able to do this internally.

I know that, 6 years ago, I looked over a marshy field in Texas, where there were over 50 !

Thank you John,

Do you know if they are solitary migrator's or move in small numbers, or both?

I think a days seawatching on a certain large mammal tranquilizer would be one most memorable. I'd certainly like to read my own note book the day after.

6.76am: I figured out that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration – that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There's no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves.

Sometime after my watch melted:George W Bush's Sherwater.....heading east!![/QUOTE. Priceless!!

As I was casually flicking through RBA I saw a count of four Pectoral Sandpipers reported in Cornwall. Now I know this charming little calidris is the most common nearctic vagrant wader in Britain (well I should think the most common nearctic full stop) and I saw as many as three birds together last year in Northamptonshire. But I was wondering if anyone knew what the largest count of Pectoral Sandpiper to be seen in Britain together was? Or if anyone had heard of or seen a larger group than four, my knowledge will only stretch back less than two years as I have been away from birding nearly a decade.

Regards Kieran

I remember 7 @ Stithians (Cornwall) in early October 1982...see 1982Cornwall bird report.

Sometime after my watch melted: George W Bush's Sherwater.....heading east!!

8.08state am: flock of Norwegian Sea Dragons pass at mid-distance some observed dip-feeding

11teen.20orangeam: The incessant pulsing of the entire visible horizon indicating that existence is breathing.

11.21am: (as effects wear off) realisation this is actually just 'waves'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back