• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Going on holiday do i bulk feed? (1 Viewer)

zubo1

Hi all,

Not really had this problem before as ive never previously had this many birds in the garden.

Do i put out a weeks worth on the day i leave?

I have some hanging feeders that hold a few days worth but i also ground feed daily and don't want to loose any of the garden family that ive managed to gather so far.

Any help would be great:t:

Lots of food on the ground will attract rodents.
Also, if it rains, there is a potential for mold, which is not healthy for the birds.
There are cat and dog food dispensers that release a portion of stored food daily for a week.
I have no idea how much they cost or whether they would work with birdseed.
Your simplest fix might be to take the seed tray off some of your hanging feeders. The regular visitors will ensure enough spillage to keep your ground feeders occupied.

Hanging feeders tend to spill tit bits on the ground, so increase the number of overhead feeders with greater capacity, situate them above grass or feeding area and all should be okay for a week.

I tend to take a one month holidays every mid-winter and not wishing my hungry flock to go wanting, I use homemade very large capacity feeders holding 25 kg and more each (the actual bulk of the food in dry storage space at the top, dropping into the feeding area as the level goes down) - three or so of these keeps up to 500 birds a day happy, the feeders just lasting out a full month. So, at a smaller scale, I would imagine you could simply put out a few large feeders and everything will be okay.

Last edited:
Great, So basically i just need to add a couple more large hanging feeders to the ones i already have and fill them all before i leave.

well thats a nice simple solution to my crisis, Hey KCFoggin i may also take your advice and and get my son to call in midweek and check all is well (just for piece of mind)

Anyway thanx to ya all for your help:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back