• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pantanal, immature Hawks for ID check (1 Viewer)

ugolino

Dear all,
I saw a good number of immature hawks this last summer in the Pantanal. I would reallly appreciate you taking time to confirm or invalidate my calls.
I think that 1 and 2 are Savanna
I think that 3 and 4 are Great Black
I am not sure about 5, but guesses that it migh be black-collared
Am I right ?
thank you in advance, ugolino

Attachments

• Savanna Hawk (juvenile) BRA 1432.JPG
    Savanna Hawk (juvenile) BRA 1432.JPG
    176.2 KB · Views: 49
  • Savanna Hawk (juvenile) BRA 8553.JPG
    Savanna Hawk (juvenile) BRA 8553.JPG
    212.5 KB · Views: 40
  • Great Black Hawk (juvenile) BRA 6052.JPG
    Great Black Hawk (juvenile) BRA 6052.JPG
    264.6 KB · Views: 38
  • Great Black Hawk (juvenile) BRA 6662.JPG
    Great Black Hawk (juvenile) BRA 6662.JPG
    181.9 KB · Views: 41
  • Black-collared Hawk (juvenile) BRA 4990.JPG
    Black-collared Hawk (juvenile) BRA 4990.JPG
    168.6 KB · Views: 50
1 - Savanna, the barred chest is about all you need but face and tail confirm

2 - Great Black, the tail rules out Savanna. The dark marks on either side of the upper chest are a good mark.

3 - Looks like Great Black again. At first glance the tail appears long and I thought Harris's actually, but several things (bill color, heavy tarsi) rule that out and you do see again the dark marks on the outside of the upper chest.

4 - Savanna, barred chest and tail pattern distinctive.

5 - Gray-lined hawk, the face pattern, barred chest, tail pattern, and structure. Black-collared is much shorter tailed and a much different structure and would never show the barred chest.

Thank you so much pbjosh, your reasonning is incredibly clear.
I am however still confused about the last photo which you are calling Grey (Gray) lined Hawk.
I attach a photo of a bird taken in Ecuador a few years ago which i had also called (perhaps wrongly) a juvenile Grey-lined... the tail pattern is so different. Was it a wrong identification or is the Ecuadorian bird a juvenile and the Brazilian bird an immature ?
It is pretty confusing, and I apologise for questionning your call. Trying to learn from those who know.
thank you in advance, ugolino

Attachments

• Grey-lined Hawk (juvenile) ECU 1559.JPG
    Grey-lined Hawk (juvenile) ECU 1559.JPG
    374.1 KB · Views: 22
Your bird from Ecuador is definitely a juvenile Gray/Gray-lined Hawk, depending on where in the country it was taken.

For your Brazil bird - the barred chest and structure pretty much point at one of these possibilities - Gray-lined Hawk, Double-toothed Kite, or an Accipiter. Hook-billed Kite, Forest-Falcons, Ornate Hawk-Eagle and Crested Eagle are pretty easily eliminated :)

To me, the tail color, head shape, eye size and color, and particularly facial pattern rule out Rufous-thighed Hawk (as well as Tiny Hawk or the unbarred Bicolored Hawk). Double-toothed kite has a bit of a blocky, small headed look, but again, as far as I know, shouldn't show that facial pattern. The facial pattern is really classic for Gray/gray-lined, the tail pattern is good, and the structure and other field marks check out.

It is well within possibility that there is regional and/or individual variation in the barring of the tails of juveniles, I would not know. As well, I don't think the tails in the two photos are so different, to some degree you are seeing the bottom-most, widest bars on the Ecuador bird and the rest of the tail is obscured which changes the impression somewhat.

However, everyone mis-ID's juvenile raptors, myself regularly, and I'm not pretending to be an authority here, just trying to give the extent of my reasoning.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back