• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

76 mm Interpupillary Distance (1 Viewer)

DaveP1

Hi All, I lost my old Bins a 7 x 50 Nikon I loved to bits.

Now I am having great difficulty in find a replacement , they seem to be making Bins with smaller interpupillary distances these days

I have tracked down the Zeiss FLs with 76mm interpup but they are pretty expensive, do I have a choice? 74mm just wont do it for me

Thanks

This is curious. I just did a more than cursory review of the 2 major on-line sellers of binoculars here on Bird Forum: Eagle Optics and Camera Land and they do not list the IPDs of the binoculars they sell. I may have missed some, but I doubt it. It apparently is not considered important information by them. Nikon binoculars don't seem to have IPD's wider than 72mm. This from their website.

I'm afraid that you are going to have to hope that some old timer can come on here and help you in your quest.

Bob

DaveP1,

if I were you I would not trust the numbers provided by the manufacturers.
My own IPD is ~67 mm.
I tried what setting was best with my Monarch X, and with a ruler I measured it 68 mm. Then I broadened them as much I could, and the result was 79 mm.
Nikon lists them with a maximum IPD of 72 mm...

So don't despair, things may actually turn out better than expected.

//L

What about buying another Nikon 7x50 ? There are currently 10 on eBay UK with prices from 99p to £450 for a wide variety of models, recent and old. You can always ask the sellers to check the maximum IPD of their item, as well as questions about condition etc. If you remember the exact model/age of the 7x50 you lost, you might get lucky and find an identical replacement for it.
However, having checked Nikon catalogues for 2002, 2006 and 2010/11, maximum IPDs quoted are usually 72mm (as has already been said) although SE porros are listed at 73mm, so these may be your best bet because the bridge goes wider: my 10x42SE will go to 78mm. My Nikon 7x50 Tropical has a maximum IPD mark of 74mm but can go to 80mm.
I suppose the simple answer is to visit a shop and try as many binoculars as you can, to see which suits you best, in more ways than just IPD. There are loads to choose from...

Just treat this as "some old timer who's come on here to help you in your quest". J.B.

This is curious. I just did a more than cursory review of the 2 major on-line sellers of binoculars here on Bird Forum: Eagle Optics and Camera Land and they do not list the IPDs of the binoculars they sell. I may have missed some, but I doubt it. It apparently is not considered important information by them. Nikon binoculars don't seem to have IPD's wider than 72mm. This from their website.

I'm afraid that you are going to have to hope that some old timer can come on here and help you in your quest.

Bob

I've been irritated about the lack of IPD spec for many years, and even more irritated at the lack of bins with minimum spec under 56 mm. As far as I know, the only major seller that meticulously lists IPD spec is Astronomics/Christophers, bless their ruler-wielding hands! Unfortunately, they don't have the inventory that they used to, but here's the link if you want to have a look:
http://www.astronomics.com/main/cat...tegory_name/06M91XPQQNM69M5JAAT58EWUN2/Page/1

--AP

Great thanks everyone for all your help, my "old" Nikon 7 x 50s had been with me for 15+ years.........yes I will follow your advice , thanks again

I've been irritated about the lack of IPD spec for many years, and even more irritated at the lack of bins with minimum spec under 56 mm. As far as I know, the only major seller that meticulously lists IPD spec is Astronomics/Christophers, bless their ruler-wielding hands! Unfortunately, they don't have the inventory that they used to, but here's the link if you want to have a look:
http://www.astronomics.com/main/cat...tegory_name/06M91XPQQNM69M5JAAT58EWUN2/Page/1

--AP

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back