• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New FL replacement coming soon? (1 Viewer)

spiralcoil

Seeing Eagle Optics has the Zeiss FL binoculars on sale, wondering if it is a hint of newer replacement coming soon? Wondering how long the current FL line has been there already?

Seeing Eagle Optics has the Zeiss FL binoculars on sale, wondering if it is a hint of newer replacement coming soon? Wondering how long the current FL line has been there already?

I suppose they are on sale to move inventory, when sales are slow.

A common practice, although some mfrs. hold the retailers to a stringent policy of sales prices.

I suppose they are on sale to move inventory, when sales are slow.

A common practice, although some mfrs. hold the retailers to a stringent policy of sales prices.

You mean like when Zeiss FL boxes mysteriously disappeared and EO charged $600 less for boxless FLs? :) I'm still wondering where all those boxes went?!

You're probably right about FL sales being slow, after all, according to Dennis, the SV ELs "selling like hotcakes" so the FL inventory must be stacking up like jets over Denver International Airport. :)

Brock

Last edited:
You mean like when Zeiss FL boxes mysteriously disappeared and EO charged $600 less for boxless FLs? :) I'm still wondering where all those boxes went?!

You're probably right about FL sales being slow, after all, according to Dennis, the SV ELs "selling like hotcakes" so the FL inventory must be stacking up like jets over Denver International Airport. :)

Brock

Didn't know those boxes are so expensive!! Can they "misplace" the neckstrap to make room for another $600?

Brock

I haven't heard anything from our Zeiss reps about new binoculars being developed, though I wouldn't expect to hear such news until we get closer to January and the SHOT show. Regarding those boxes Brock, we're just sitting on them until the market is right. I've got a whole bunch of empty Zeiss boxes here and who wouldn't drop $550 for a box that's easily worth $600, right? :smoke:

Ben Lizdas
Sales Manager
Eagle Optics
www.eagleoptics.com

Zeiss were asking for opinions on an open bridge design last September. I don't know how long it would take them to produce such a design.

The Birdfair is in August so who knows...

I hope so,
am tiring of the SW threads,
need new bino excitement

The fact that a binocular has not yet been manufactured, or hasn't even been designed, has never prevented our bold contributors from speculating endlessly about it. I think we should assume that the top-secret Zeiss bin will have an open bridge, will be sharper at the edges than the Swarovision, will have a flawlessly smooth focus mechanism, will be able to withstand a drop from a ten-story building, will both play and record vocalizations, will identify birds, will take 50 megapixel photos, and will weigh 200 grams. Have I forgotten anything?

The fact that a binocular has not yet been manufactured, or hasn't even been designed, has never prevented our bold contributors from speculating endlessly about it. I think we should assume that the top-secret Zeiss bin will have an open bridge, will be sharper at the edges than the Swarovision, will have a flawlessly smooth focus mechanism, will be able to withstand a drop from a ten-story building, will both play and record vocalizations, will identify birds, will take 50 megapixel photos, and will weigh 200 grams. Have I forgotten anything?

Yes, a few things. It will be equipped with Blue Tooth, GPS, and have a MSRP of $22,290. :)

Brock the (Former) Leaditte

"Speculating is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing." - Anonymous

I think we should assume that the top-secret Zeiss bin will have an open bridge, will be sharper at the edges than the Swarovision, will have a flawlessly smooth focus mechanism, will be able to withstand a drop from a ten-story building, will both play and record vocalizations, will identify birds, will take 50 megapixel photos, and will weigh 200 grams. Have I forgotten anything?

It's almost certain to have a box.;)

I suppose this would be a good time for the Zeiss users here, to comment on
any changes they would like to see in a new model ?

The designers at both Zeiss and Leica are busy working on the next model, and
they do need suggestions from those that use these great optics. ;)

Jerry

I suppose this would be a good time for the Zeiss users here, to comment on
any changes they would like to see in a new model ?

The designers at both Zeiss and Leica are busy working on the next model, and
they do need suggestions from those that use these great optics. ;)

Jerry

Jerry,

Zeiss asked for suggestions in their poll last year so at this point, they probably have already settled on their design criteria.

I suggested an open bridge, of course, and to make the optics with good edges but without "rolling ball" (or "waving mustache") and to give the armoring a tactile rubber coating to obviate the "plasticy feel" of the polycarbonate body.

I also suggested they boost the spectrum in the red like Nikon and Leica. I've read several reviewers say they thought the FLs lacked the color saturation of a Leica or top o' the line Nikon. You have both the FL and EDG, you could probably comment on that.

Then I suggested the unthinkable, that they re-release the 7x42 B/GA and 10x40 B/GA with updated AR and prism coatings for the boomers. Retro styling and updating of popular but long discontinued automobiles seems to have been effective, so why not apply that strategy to binoculars?

My last suggestion was to have a sale where the FL 2 came with no box, no strap, and no case, and were offered at half price. Fat chance!

I suspect a design is already on the drawing board if not a prototype already built. However, I don't think the FL 2 will be released until at least next year.

First, they leak rumors about a new design being in the works (they won't make an official announcement yet, having learned the lesson from the Nikon EDG, which was coming...coming...still coming...). That will lower prices on the FLs a bit. Then they'll wait until a lot of old inventory is sold and make the announcement official.

I'm sure they also want to wait until Swavovisionmania has died down, which seems to be already happening. I see a lot of "hotcakes" sitting on the Internet griddle.

Now, it may be just a rumor, but from what I've heard, Dennis has pre-ordered a Victory FL 2. ;)

Brock

The aging FL has been pretty hard to beat in anything but edge sharpness, hasn't it? Transmission, glare resistance, color correction, focusing action, weight, eye comfort, and ergonomics hardly cry out for improvement. Plasticky feel is an unavoidable by product of polycarbonate construction, this is not your father's binocular.

So, Zeiss:
Be cool, make a modest upgrade. Please, not another Swaro lookalike. Just slap some fancier eyepieces on that puppy, keep the price down, and call it good. You can't please everybody, so don't lose your fans.
Ron

I agree with Ron. Off-axis corrections have been the weakest area of optical performance all along, but I can't see that anything else is inferior to the SV and light transmission is better. I suppose I would also like to see the highest transmission extend further into the red and blue if that can be done without compromising transmission from green to yellow. What I would not like to see is abandonment of the Abbe-Konig prism or the large exit pupil models. 8x50 and 10x50 would be a nice additions.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back