• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Corn Bunting? Scotland (1 Viewer)

Capercaillie71

I was fairly sure these were corn buntings when I saw them, but they were silhoutted and flew off before I got close enough to be sure. They didn't call at all.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• CB.JPG
    CB.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 191
  • CB1.JPG
    CB1.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 122
  • CB2.JPG
    CB2.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 156
Very dificult to id from these images, they could be Sparrows & they could be Corn Buntings, they do seem to have a CB look to them. Cheers, P.

Those birds are looking a tad too stocky and bulky for Sparrows. The streaks on the side of the third bird is also a good point, so I'd go with Corn Bunting. These are just my opinions though. ;)

The bird closest in the pictuer looks similar to house sparrow. The bird in background looks better for corn IMO judging by proportions.

A bit more brightness to the image as attached.
I think the front bird looks more like a corn bunting than sparrow.
Andy

Attachments

• CB2.JPG
    CB2.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 139
Thanks for the comments

I can see where the sparrow thoughts are coming from but I'm fairly certain they aren't sparrows. For one thing they were right out in the middle of arable farmland nowhere near any buildings and when they flew off they were silent (I can't recall ever seeing a flock of sparrows take flight without a lot of noise!).

Also these birds were large - this more distant shot shows them with what I think are Linnets (the 3 on the left and one on the right).

And I don't think sparrows would show the pale moustachial stripe visible in the first set of photos? I was more concerned they might be some other sort of bunting (yellowhammer or reed) but I'm still reasonably sure they are corn buntings

Attachments

• BF1.JPG
    BF1.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 86
IMHO, and that bright pic from Andy, these birds seem to have a heavy body, and stout bill. So for me Corn Bunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back