• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What is a Moula-Moula Bird? (1 Viewer)

Capercaillie71

My parents are travelling around Libya at the moment. I was slightly bewildered to receive a text from them saying that they had seen 'the Moula-Moula Bird'. I googled this and discovered that this is a Touareg name for a bird which some links suggest is the White-crowned Wheatear and others suggest is the Desert Sparrow.

Any idea what it is my parents may have seen? As far as I can make out they saw the birds at Ghadames, which seems to be well into the Sahara, near the point where Libya, Algeria and Tunisia meet.

I googled Moula moula and found that it is a Berber name of White crowned wheatear Oenanthe leucopyga. It is used from Morocco and Algeria as Javier said, through to Libya. And the location where your parents have seen the birds is well within the Touareg area. I don't know the name myself because it is not native to my area in the north.

Enjoy some images of Moula-moula: http://www.google.com/images?um=1&hl=fr&biw=1272&bih=569&tbs=isch%3A1&sa=1&q=moula+moula&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

A fine set of photographs.

Allen

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back