• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grey Geese, Scotland (1 Viewer)

Capercaillie71

I took some photos of a flock of 4-500 pinkfeet and greylags today. Looking closely at them I noticed a couple of apparently darker geese among them. Unfortunately they had their heads down so I doubt it will be possible to ID them, but I wondered what anyone else thought. Trick of the light? Immature birds? Or something more interesting?

Attachments

• Geese1.JPG
    Geese1.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 147
  • Geese2.JPG
    Geese2.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 146
I took some photos of a flock of 4-500 pinkfeet and greylags today. Looking closely at them I noticed a couple of apparently darker geese among them. Unfortunately they had their heads down so I doubt it will be possible to ID them, but I wondered what anyone else thought. Trick of the light? Immature birds? Or something more interesting?

Hi,
think about Greenland White-fronted Geese, but i don't no how the juvenile looks.
Cheers
Peter.

Attachments

• Greenland White-fronted Goose, Hampton, Peterborough, UK..jpg
    Greenland White-fronted Goose, Hampton, Peterborough, UK..jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 41
IMHO, they are Greylag Geese. See the big orange bill and the pinkish legs in the second pic.

Yes, there are certainly greylag geese in the foreground, and some pinkfeet too. The geese I was unsure about are the two darker ones towards the back of the photos.

Both whitefront and bean geese are very rare here but have been recorded at this site once or twice each in the past.

I'd strongly suspect that these are Greenland Whitefronts. They're obviously not Pink-feet and there aren't any really obvious other possibilities. Greenland Whitefronts can look quite dark in certain light, more than other grey geese.

I'd strongly suspect that these are Greenland Whitefronts. They're obviously not Pink-feet and there aren't any really obvious other possibilities. Greenland Whitefronts can look quite dark in certain light, more than other grey geese.

That is also my impression from the photos; I'm pretty sure the dark colouration isn't just a trick of the light.

Thanks all. Whitefront seems a strong possibility - there seem to be more than normal about in the north-east at the moment, but I don't think it is possible to be certain.

I had another look today, but most of the flock had gone - there were still 100 or so greylags, but only 10 pinkfeet.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back