• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (46 Viewers)

Looking into this deeper there seems to be two separate solar plans and one of them is next to the Moors.
Is this correct? Can anyone shed more light on this?:C
It appears that the solar array over by the M5 is a full planning application to which the trust has replied.
The array in the field next to the Moors is a proposal and planning has not been applied for at this time.:t:

A lot of things and opinions will have to be taken into account before remedial action is taken. Phil and Peter have mentioned most of the factors involve, but another aspect to be considered are the wader feeding areas. These are the areas where the avocet chicks are reared and passage waders fuel up, this is totally reliant on the correct water levels at the right time of year.
During the breeding season we adhere to a strict water level regime, that has been formulated over many years of trial and error. Thereafter we are at the mercy of the weather, but we gradually drop the water, to increase the overall area of mud available to the autumn passage waders.
Over the last 4 or 5 years we have also been closely monitoring the avocet rearing zones. This has enabled us to highlight the location and quality of the habitat utilised. To achieve the status quo and even improve these zones we annually embark on a series of improvements and maintenance, this ensures that they are kept in prime condition to maximise the food source and a continuous supply of food for the chicks. This involves de-silting these shallow areas every two years, which indirectly benefits saltmarsh, as the plants colonise the piles of spoil that have been placed in the water.
This regime has resulted in optimum conditions for chicks to fledge rapidly. As the zones are in prime condition the area required by each pair is relatively small. This has also allowed the population to increase, with no adverse affect on the fledging success.
Hopefully all these factors and other idiosyncrasies of the site will be taken into consideration, before the definitive plan of action is finalised.
I am sure all parties involved are after the same goal, but we (birders and togs of UW) are less patient and more passionate about a speedy and successful outcome. We have been highlighting the problems for long enough, another year or two wont be too long to wait, so lets give them the benefit of the doubt. We will have to leave it in the hands of the 'professionals' (NE/WWT) and understand that if things go wrong, on their head be it. :smoke: John

Well, if we are going to get (or already have) a full survey then decisions can be taken in the light of full knowledge from all quarters. This should then allow the correct action to be taken to everyone's satisfaction.

Mind you, if the whole area is continuing to subside then maintaining enough land at the optimum height is going to be problematic as we only have a finite area to work with. Perhaps dredging, primarily in the second flash, would be the answer although using machinery around the area would be tricky. However the biggest issue is controlling the phragmites . With spraying off the agenda (I presume?) then from what I've read a combination of cutting and mechanical removal is the only viable course of action - again not an easy option within the areas in question.

Well, if we are going to get (or already have) a full survey then decisions can be taken in the light of full knowledge from all quarters. This should then allow the correct action to be taken to everyone's satisfaction.

Mind you, if the whole area is continuing to subside then maintaining enough land at the optimum height is going to be problematic as we only have a finite area to work with. Perhaps dredging, primarily in the second flash, would be the answer although using machinery around the area would be tricky. However the biggest issue is controlling the phragmites . With spraying off the agenda (I presume?) then from what I've read a combination of cutting and mechanical removal is the only viable course of action - again not an easy option within the areas in question.

Machinery has been used before at the Flashes, in the 1970's, to create the two large islands in the second flash, so the use of large equipment is more than feasible.

Des.

Machinery has been used before at the Flashes, in the 1970's, to create the two large islands in the second flash, so the use of large equipment is more than feasible.Des.

True but it seems, along with the use of herbicides, to be a no-no these days. I'd be happy to be proved wrong in either case |=\|

Birding on the reserve today

For a cold miserable day, there was a good bit coverage. Those present include Bobby O and Alan H from first light , Bobby P and me later, then Bob W and even the county recorder Steve payne. Later Phil Q and Keith M. The water had risen by at least 3 cm's since Tuesday, due to the outlet pipe being blocked - which I cleared later.
EAST HIDE at MOORS
First thing the lads had 4 buzzards being harassed by a peregrine. Then came the heavy showers and an influx of gulls, but the usual snipe activity during the showers never happened. However a sparrowhawk marauding over the promontory, flushed several out of the thick cover. Only 2 pochard were on site the female flying out soon after it was found, but shoveler had increased slightly. Very little passerine activity away from the feeding station, other than singing cettis warblers.
On to the west side, where 2 water rail fed on the flooded track, with several others calling and showing well in the sluice basin. A little egret dropped into the west hide channel.
Species count MOORS:
GCG 4, little grebe 3, cormorant 21, mute swan 6 (resident pair, ad + 3 juvs) the latter group aggressively chased off site by the alpha male. shoveler 34, teal 55, shelduck pr, pochard 2 (m+f), tufted 20+, coot 220+, water rail c12 min, Little Egret, grey heron, buzzard 4, peregrine, sparrowhawk, snipe 25+, curlew 12 (A38 field), lapwing , BHG 200, LBBG , Herring gull only small numbers, stock dove, jay, kingfisher, green woodp, great sp woodp, cettis w 3, goldfinch 15 east marsh, bullfinch, pied wag 3, reed bunting 6,

SAILING POOL mute swan 4, (ad + 3 juv), GCG 4, tufted pr, cormorant 5, coot 5, water rail hen brook by climbing frames,

FLASHES: The water level had risen by 7cm since Sunday to 0.5. This is the winter level and the sluice is now closed with only 1 slat removed.
The 'meadow' was and well and truly water logged, which in turn attracted the lapwing flock to feed there. Several snipe slept on the southern shore and others were flushed by the grazing cattle. Good numbers of thrushes fed in the east fields and a small flock of linnet landed in front of the hide.
Species count FLASHES:
Greylag 30, teal 32, coot 5, mute swan 4(ad +3 juv overhead), moorhen 25, snipe 20+, lapwing 273, BHG 25, buzzard, sparrowhawk, stock dove 2, Raven 2, green woodp, fieldfare 120, redwing 30, song thrush 2, linnet 12, grey wag, chiffchaff

Last edited:
Went to The Flashes for the first time for a while. Plenty of Redwing, Fieldfare and Song Thrushes. Grey Wagtail walking on the frozen Hen Brook. No gulls at all.

Over at The Moors, this Water Rail was walking towards me down the West track, as bold as brass, came to within about 10 feet before he calmly turned round and went back.

Attachments

• Water Rail West Track compressed.jpg
    Water Rail West Track compressed.jpg
    406.8 KB · Views: 140
Went to The Flashes for the first time for a while. Plenty of Redwing, Fieldfare and Song Thrushes. Grey Wagtail walking on the frozen Hen Brook. No gulls at all.

Over at The Moors, this Water Rail was walking towards me down the West track, as bold as brass, came to within about 10 feet before he calmly turned round and went back.
Cracking picture!:t:

Nice photo of a GC Grebe alongside a swimming vole taken at UW posted on the West Midlands Birding facebook group - https://www.facebook.com/groups/westmidlandsbirding (need to join to view). Said to be a Water Vole - are there any on the reserve?
Matt

Three are usually three or four reports a year BUT I suspect the vast majority aren't actually Water Voles. I will hold my hand up a previously misidentifying a swimming rodent as a Water Vole |:$| I am not convinced by this photo; looks far too small whilst being in the foreground.

Last edited:
The December month list staggers to a meagre 74; potential additions include (year ticks in bold):

Bittern, Barnacle Goose, Goldeneye, Goosander, Gadwall, Pintail, Yellow-legged Gull, Great Black-backed Gull, Red Kite, Merlin, Golden Plover, Woodcock, Redshank, Dunlin, Oystercatcher, any owls, Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, Blackcap, Brambling, Lesser Redpoll, House Sparrow

That Brent Goose seen on-and-off around Bittell would be a handy addition :t:

The December month list staggers to a meagre 74; potential additions include (year ticks in bold):

Yesterday there were 15 Golden Plovers with Lapwing flock along Blackwell Road between Barnt Green and Linthurst Newtown, so not too far away either.

cracking shot John :t:

Bittern, Barnacle Goose, Goldeneye, Goosander, Gadwall, Pintail, Yellow-legged Gull, Great Black-backed Gull, Red Kite, Merlin, Golden Plover, Woodcock, Redshank, Dunlin, Oystercatcher, any owls, Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, Blackcap, Brambling, Lesser Redpoll, House Sparrow

I saw 2 Lesser Redpoll along the East track at the Moors Pool as I was walking back to the car park late morning on Monday 8th.:t:

Dave J had lesser redpoll today

Users who are viewing this thread

Back