• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Favourite Panasonic Kit for Birding? (1 Viewer)

Oscar56

Too many choices!

i want a camera that I can still capture RAW with that will be used for birding. This is for identification / documentation purposes and perhaps printing up to 8 x 10. Video capture sounds promising for those small, and hard to capture sparrows and warblers.

what is your preferred kit from the Panasonic family?

Oscar, with Panasonic, I think you should firstly be aware that there are three useful classes, based on sensor size.
Small sensor bridge cameras currently exemplified with FZ300 and FZ200 models. These have the lens providing maximum zoom effect so an advantage for distant birds. The small sensor puts some limits on quality, especially in less light.
1-inch sensor currently exemplified with FZ2000 (FZ2500) which just was awarded as "Best consumer stills/video camera of the year" by DPReview (https://www.dpreview.com/articles/8938321250/dpreview-products-of-the-year-2016?slide=14). This model still has a built in zoom but cannot zoom quite as extreme as the smaller sensor camera.
m4/3 (micro-four-thirds) has the largest sensor. These are interchangeable lens cameras where you would need a camera body and separately, a telephoto lens. This is the camera type with the largest sensor and the one that should perform the best, but also the most costly class. I prefer the shape of a G or GH model but not the GX models. The current best camera available here is the G80/85 or its predecessor G7. In addition, you would need a lens such as the 100-300 or for a higher cost, 100-400.

Finally, if you are prepared to put a lot of money into a purchase, you should consider the Olympus EM1-ii which would be able to use the same two lenses as e.g., the G80.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back