• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Possible Bargain 'Handbook of Bird Identification' by Beaman and Madge £29.99 !!! (1 Viewer)

tuftyhill

I've just had the latest offers from 'Postcript books' and they are selling the above for £29.99, it's still full price £65 on Amazon.

The Handbook of Bird Identification - Beaman and Madge

I've checked the site out and it's a different cover but on checking my own copy (bought when it first came out) it has exactly the same number of pages.

It must be the same book, if it is it's an absolute bargain.
A fantastic reference book.

tufty said:
I've just had the latest offers from 'Postcript books' and they are selling the above for £29.99, it's still full price £65 on Amazon.

I've checked the site out and it's a different cover but on checking my own copy (bought when it first came out) it has exactly the same number of pages.

Its also available for $29.99 (about 17 pounds) at hamiltonbook.com
Unfortunately they only ship within the US

Hi Paul

I rmember meeting you in a B and B in wells (with a Julia i think) when i was a Kid Lister - you gave me a lot of encouragement to get stuck into birding and biology... I did! And are you the same chap who wrote the ecellent dragonfly site guide?

top bargain too the Madge and Beaman, almost worth getting a second copy...

noticed a couple of vols BWP (not the usual two, these were early vols) t'other day goin cheap too on Amazon

It is just the American cover version. The pages inside are exactly the same. Excellent book, I bought one a while ago off Postscript. Always refer to it when I am at home. Go for it.

Hi Tim,
Same name different person. The chap you are referring to is Paul M Hill from Cheshire who is a Birder and is very knowledgable on Lepidoptra (I hope I've spelt that right !!!)
I am Paul S Hill from Cheshire, a Birder and a novice with all things to do with Lepidoptra.
I have had many a phone call and emails asking me for info regarding Butterflies etc.....
I must introduce myself to him this year at the Birdfair, I runs the BIOTA stall dealing with all things 'lepidoptra-like'

Is this the guy you met ?

Paul M Hill

tufty said:

Bump - still available from Postscript - and still a bargain!

Rob

London Birder said:
never liked the book myself, though the text is worth having and at that price worth grabbing

the book is never recommended because of not very good in drawings, so i am not suprised that it is in discount.

black lark said:
the book is never recommended because of not very good in drawings, so i am not suprised that it is in discount.

I agree. The warblers are rubbish. But not quite as bad as some of the 'Noggin the Nod' birds in BWP...who on earth accepted those????

John.

black lark said:

Can't agree. I think the plates are generally excellent and the gulls and skuas for me are amongst the finest bird illustrations you will see anywhere.

Perry

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back