• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Economy Hits Hawai'i Conservation Staff (1 Viewer)

bkrownd

The State budget crisis could potentially cause some problems for our conservation efforts. A few days ago the State announced that DOCARE officers (DLNR police) hours would be cut. They patrol shorelines, forest reserves and such. They're rarely seen in the native habitats, though. Maybe 1-3 days a year I see them checking hunting permits. I get the impression they spend most of their time down at the beach parks.

Today it was leaked that the governor wants to close the Kulani Correctional Facility (low security prison), which is the keystone of Hawai'i's windward conservation areas. Kulani is fenced and patrolled by the prison staff, and Kulani staffs the fencing crews that build many of the island's conservation fences. Kulani has a very high concentration of endangered species, including many rare plants and all of the island's endangered forest birds except palila. (but still within former palila range, IIRC) Don't know what would happen to the area and conservation work there if the facility was decomissioned.

On the flip side, I've seen some new temporary conservation jobs are appearing in other areas as a result of the Federal stimulus money.

I'm not on the inside though, so that's just the rumors I've caught wind of.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back