• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lakenheath and beyond (1 Viewer)

mallingbirder

Hi all

Considering a very early trip up to Lakenheath at the weekend for a chance of Golden Oriole and then on to Weeting Heath for Stone Curlew. However I'm not sufficiently familiar with Suffolk/Norfolk to know if there are any other sites nearby that would be worth checking out while I'm up there? I'm doing a day trip from Kent and expect to spend most of the morning at Lakenheath and Weeting but wouldn't mind extending the itinerary to another site nearby or on my way back to Kent? Any advice/tips?

Many thanks

Adam

In addition to the forest sites, Lackford Lakes is nearby and can be worth a visit - the feeders near the car park, before you go to the visitor centre, can turn up lots of good farmland birds, including tree sparrows and the scrub around there usually holds a few vocal nightingales (although you should get one of these at least at Lakenheath). You sometimes also get Turtle Dove on the wires over the car park, although again, you may see these around the entrance/car park at Lakenheath.

Cheers fellas - I recall Lynford Arboretum being good for Hawfinch, but presumably during the winter? Thetford is supposed to be good for Goshawk I've heard, but I guess that's a matter of luck more than anything.

Fingers crossed for Sunday!

Adam

Cheers fellas - I recall Lynford Arboretum being good for Hawfinch, but presumably during the winter? Thetford is supposed to be good for Goshawk I've heard, but I guess that's a matter of luck more than anything. Fingers crossed for Sunday! Adam

Although Hawfinch will be nesting now, scan the tops of deciduous trees that have fresh tender leaves - these form part of the nestlings' diet. There may well be Firecrest, but Lynford is quite large. Don't leave anything in view in your vehicle - the risk is probably no higher than anywhere else, but the long evenings can tempt thieves out.

Goshawk is very much a matter of luck, immatures and non-breeders being likely to wander widely. If you find a large open area and can view from the shadowed side, you may be lucky if you have a decent sightline down-sun. More likely would be Hobby. After recent torrentail rain, a number of passerines may be making a second attempt to nest, so early-morning birdsong could bring you Woodlark.
MJB

Adam
there's a carload of BF members from Yorkshire gonna be down at Lakenheath of Sunday morning, might be good to meet up and pool forces?
Look out for my baseball cap, has Swift written across the front, the w being in the shape of a swift.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back