• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My life list (3 Viewers)

Thanks! Got another lifer today at (of all the places...) the dentist's office! They had a feeder outside a big picture window and I was watching the birds while waiting. In Huntville, TX:

235. White-breasted Nuthatch

Last edited:
Cillana,

Regional differences are so amazing...

Chuck-will's-widow just makes it (range-wisely speaking) into my home province of Ontario; they are an unusual sighting, but they are there. However, despite many years of trying, I have never seen one. I think I heard a call note, once - that's the closest I've ever got.

Meanwhile, I saw my first White-breasted Nuthatch 25 years ago. The fact that you saw the former before the latter makes my head spin.

:D

Peter

(p.s. never mind the Yellow Rail!)

Very late update! Haven't been on this site in quite a while. Got two new lifers early this year. Heard about a sighting of at least two Vermilion Flycatchers at one of my favorite places to visit in the winter so I HAD to go see them. Got a bonus second lifer during the trip, but didn't manage any photos of them.

January 6, 2015 at Anahuac NWR, TX

236. Vermilion Flycatcher
237. Marsh Wren

Attachments

• P1060025sm.jpg
    P1060025sm.jpg
    417.2 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
I totally forgot about this guy!

March 28 at Watson Rare Native Plant Preserve (near Warren, TX)
238. Yellow-throated Warbler

We kept hearing both Yellow-throated Vireos and Yellow-throated Warblers and our guide was trying to teach us which song was which. I kept getting totally confused. Eventually I got a hang of it and eventually we spotted the warbler which was a new one for me.

Last edited:
Hi Cillana,

With a lot of interest I read your life list story, very interesting! Living in Europe it is nice to read about all those American birds, many ring a bell from visits to the USA and Canada, and bring back happy memories!

March 2015 was your last lifer addition. Although it becomes of course increasingly difficult to find new ones, I don't think you didn't see any since then?

Peter

Thanks for your interest Fulmar. Unfortunately due to chronic health issues I don't get out as much as I would like. Still hanging out in bed recovering from my long overdue birding trip on Thursday. Couldn't have done it without my mom. She is so awesome. We saw 85 species and I got 13 lifers! Here's what I added:

April 28, 2016 in Jefferson County, TX

Sabine Woods
239. Swainson's Thrush
240. Northern Waterthrush
241. Wood Thrush (heard before, but finally saw one!)
242. Chestnut-sided Warbler
243. Magnolia Warbler
244. Western Tanager
245. Veery

Texas Point NWR
246. Gray-cheeked Thrush
247. Blackpoll Warbler
248. Bay-breasted Warbler

On the road to next stop
249. W̶e̶s̶t̶e̶r̶n̶ ̶K̶i̶n̶g̶b̶i̶r̶d̶ Couch's/Tropical Kingbird (leaving it in even though I didn't get it down to species)

Sea Rim State Park
250. Semipalmated Sandpiper (probably seen before but couldn't ID until now)
251. Black Tern (including one in gorgeous breeding plumage!)

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your health issues. But isn't it wonderful then going out for a day and see 13 lifers in that one day? And an amazing number of 83 species in that one day? That must have given some real pleasure!

Peter

First birding outing this year and got a surprise lifer.

Baton Rouge, Louisiana 1/4/2017
252. Buff-bellied Hummingbird

They had several feeders out on the trails and I briefly saw this hummingbird before it saw me and flew away.

Last edited:
My health was pretty bad in 2018. Didn't get out much. Missed getting a Purple Finch during CBC because I had to turn back to the car because I was feeling sick. :( Here's what I've seen so far in 2019:

January 1, 2019
Big Thicket NP, Turkey Creek Unit, Tyler Co, TX
253. American Woodcock
(almost stepped on it before it flushed and flew over my head)

February 5, 2019
Cattail Marsh Trails, Beaumont, TX
254. Cinnamon Teal

April 20, 2019 in Jefferson Co, TX
255. Ovenbird - Texas Point NWR
256. Yellow-headed Blackbird - Sea Rim SP

Last edited:
Finally a new species. :) And I wasn't even birding. Of course I brought my binocs just in case.

August 16, 2020
Big Thicket NP, Turkey Creek Unit, Tyler Co. TX
258. Blue Grosbeak

Two females seen while we were out looking for wildflowers

January 1, 2023
Anahuac NWR, TX
259. Mottled Duck

May 4th, 2023
Cattail Marsh, Beaumont, TX
260. Least Bittern

Users who are viewing this thread

Back