• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham ,Butterflies, Moths and Dragonflies. (2 Viewers)

Thanks for the I.D.s Martin :t: Looking at my book now it seems obvious they are blue tailed. This is a new tick for me as I am starting right at the beginning. I did some research (the female is in the infuscans obsoleta form is that right?). Also I think i did see a female common blue as well. Is this ID right? see attached pic. I have circled what I thought was the key ID feature that circular blob on the S2.
(my list so far)
Emperor dragon, common blue damsel, blue tailed damsel, banded demoiselle, large red damsel, common darter.
I may also have seen an emerald damsel fly in scotland last year it was green and I think I would have noticed if it had black wings like a demoiselle but I won't put it on as I can't be sure. I reckon if I put some hours in I'll definitely improve on this modest list (and hopefully see a hobby:-O).

here is the pic, always helps if I remember to click the upload button :brains:

Attachments

• Kibblesworth 035.JPG
    Kibblesworth 035.JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 195
here is the pic, always helps if I remember to click the upload button :brains:
Hi Pete i would say that was a immature male Common Blue Damselfly rather than a female.The markings on the antehumeral region just below the head are slighty different to the females.The immature males are pale grey/mauve and black.In cold conditions the males can turn grey.You haven't got a bad list of Dragonflies and Damselflies.Watch out for Black-tailed Skimmers at Testo's pool there's several around.They like to rest on the muddy edges of the pool and you can often get excellent close views.You can see Emerald Damselfies also at Testo's there's lots starting to come out they have clear wings.In late summer and autumn look out for Migrant Hawkers.

Last edited:
Not a good day for seeing butterflies today bit windy and not much sun.Had a quick look in Marsden Quarry saw 5 Common Blues,a single Ringlet,3 Meadow Browns and 4 Small Skippers.

Went to Wingate Quarry this afternoon despite the blusterly conditions i did quite well for butterflies.The Marbled Whites are now on the wing some of them were showing well.
Butterflies seen-
Marbled White 10
Small Heath 15
Ringlet 35
Meadow Brown 20
Small skipper 4
Small Tort 1

It's been excellent this afternoon for butterflies and dragonflies went to Tilesheds,Boldon first 7 species of butterflies seen

Small Skipper excellent count of 82
Meadow Brown 30+
Ringlet 30+
Large Skipper only 3
Small Tort 4
Large White 1
Common Blue 2

Testo' Pool ,Boldon proved very interesting for dragonflies saw a male Broad-bodied Chaser it's the first one i have seen there.Other dragonflies and damselflies seen

Emperor 3
FS Chaser 6+
Common Darter 20+
Black-tailed Skimmer 2
Azure Damselflies
Blue Damselflies
BT Damselflies
Emerald Damselfies.

Butterflies seen

Large Skipper 2
Small Skipper 17
Large White 1
Meadow Brown 20+
Small Tort 1
There seems to be a few more Small Torts around at the moment.

How does one find Testos Pools, whats parking like, access etc

I thank you in advance.
Testo,s pond Davy- incase Martins directions did,nt hit the spot.

NZ339610, just off the A19 roundabout here. Best parking place is - come off the A19 heading into Boldon at the main roundabout(Testo,s)..the pond can be seen on your left. The next roundabout just after the ponds end do a left this takes you towards Boldon Asda. Take your first left after this roundabout...this small road passes the Friendly Hotel on your left, then you come to a Tee junction, do a left, drive down here and you will see the "Matchbox " building on your right park just beside here. You will see the opening/path directly infront of you which leads to the pond.
Its not a great path around the pond here sometimes it can be very muddy and is over grown at the moment in certain sections. But worth a visit if you are in the area..

Thanks Martin, Here are a couple more from the day. I think the brown damselfly is a coloured variant of the female common blue. I'm just starting to learn about dragonflies and butterflies. Also this area had a lot of "flesh flies :eek!:" apparently they like flowers too.

Brown Damsel is a Male Common Blue in the Teneral stage.

Just come in from doing some gardening disturbed a few moths a Garden Carpet,Lesser Yellow Underwing and a Light Arches.

Last edited:
Still not many butterflies getting into the garden but i think that will soon change 2 of my buddleias will be in flower anytime now.2 more Speckled Woods seen in the garden today.

cowpen bewley this morning comma, small tort, ringlet, m brown, small heath, green veined white, 5 sp burnet 2 yellow shell. no dragonflies saw one c darter at saltholme was very windy. there were good numbers of painted ladies there last time i visited about 3 weeks ago.

Attachments

• comma_resize.jpg
    comma_resize.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 192
  • ringlet_resize.jpg
    ringlet_resize.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 176
  • small tort_resize.jpg
    small tort_resize.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_8944_resize.jpg
    IMG_8944_resize.jpg
    311.4 KB · Views: 180
cowpen bewley this morning comma, small tort, ringlet, m brown, small heath, green veined white, 5 sp burnet 2 yellow shell. no dragonflies saw one c darter at saltholme was very windy. there were good numbers of painted ladies there last time i visited about 3 weeks ago.
Hi Keith i was going to go to Cowpen Bewley today but decided not to because of the wind.It's an excellent place for seeing hawker dragonflies you get Brown,Southern,Migrant and Common Hawkers.It was very good for Brown Hawkers last year i had some cracking views of them.Thats good news about Painted Ladies seems to be a normal year for them we certainly wont see anything like the number we had last year.

Last edited:
got there 5.30 martin sun was shining looked like a great day ahead.didnt see a single dragonfly though. wind become really strong after 7.30 shame cos the heat was there. looked in at that small pond off follingsby lane on friday, couldnt stay long, though i did see two emporers plenty of birds around aswell as i walked along the disused railway line, worth another look.

Last edited:
I've had a few in my garden recently they stand out well even in the dark, the Honeysuckle seems to be attracting a few moths but its hard to tell what they are in the dark.
Hi Adam Honeysuckle is excellent for attracting moths.I use a powerful torch when i am looking for moths in the garden they often fly around the light and sometimes settle on the ground or nearby plants.But the best way of seeing moths is to use a moth trap.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back