• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Finding photos Windows 10 (1 Viewer)

Steve Babbs

Hi all

I'm probably being stupid, but I'm struggling with lots of things since I've got a new Windows 10 computer. My latest problem is finding photos. On my old computer, I used to be able to do a search for a name e.g. tawny owl and it'd show me all the photos with that name. That does not work now. All my photos are on the D drive as it has a bigger storage - 3TB - then the C drive, which is nowhere near large enough.

Any help much appreciated.

Gawd!!! You have my sympathy Steve, I'm just starting on this1 W10 journey!

I'll be following this thread with interest. At the mo, I've got all my pictures on an ext HD, so don't know where the default location will put them when I download some for the first time.

I'm sure there's a number of ways to do this, here's a couple:

Click on the HD (your 3TB drive) , when it opens go to the search field on the right side of the page. Type in .jpg and all your photos will open (in the format you have selected in View on the toolbar on the top of the page. Fastest operation is List). They will be appear in alpha numeric order.

Another way is to type in the name of the photo desired in that same search field.

Don't know if this is the quickest search but they work for me.

Good Luck

Steve, that seems to work OK for me.

First method is to open the windows explorer (same icon as in Win7) and place yourself in the right drive. Then in the upper right corner input the search term (see the attachment for the place saying "search ...). I only tested when being in the external HD that holds my images.

Second option: input the same search term in the Cortina search area. See where the arrow is pointing in the second attachment. This found images stored on my external HD just fine.

I think I prefer the output from method one but both get me the images.

Another thing is that I rarely use this because I prefer ACDSee as my organizer and photo editing program

Niels

Attachments

• snip 1.JPG
    snip 1.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 66
  • snip2.JPG
    snip2.JPG
    13.5 KB · Views: 72
Steve, that seems to work OK for me.

First method is to open the windows explorer (same icon as in Win7) and place yourself in the right drive. Then in the upper right corner input the search term (see the attachment for the place saying "search ...). I only tested when being in the external HD that holds my images.

Second option: input the same search term in the Cortina search area. See where the arrow is pointing in the second attachment. This found images stored on my external HD just fine.

I think I prefer the output from method one but both get me the images.

Another thing is that I rarely use this because I prefer ACDSee as my organizer and photo editing program

Niels

I think that is what I've been doing Niels. I have no idea why it hasn't been working but SanAngelo's method works well.

Many thanks to both of you for replying.

It sounds to me like SanAngelo's way and my method 1 are more or less identical - unless I misunderstand something.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back