• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Member - Gift Buying Advice (1 Viewer)

jtiis

Hello all,

I am not a birder - sorry - no time... but I want to be a good brother :)

My mom was an avid birder and she never thought any of us kids would follow suit - but during the past year and a half or so low and behold my sister took up the hobby in a big way. (Who knows she might even be a member here... if she is I hope she doesn't give this a read!)... anyhow - I am wanting to get her a very nice pair of binocs.

She does general out in nature birding. She lives in Michigan so she can be out in the cold/snow if that matters. She likes to do bird photography as well so I think she needs binocs that are somewhat compact. I don't know what good ones go for but I can go up to $750... $1000 if that's the sweet spot range if necessary. Anyhow, I've only got a few weeks to pick them up so - recommendations fast and furious are appreciated.

TIA.

Oh, forgot to say - I love a good bargain and new is not the most important thing - haven't even seen if there's a FS section here - but if my price range puts me in for a good used pair tell me those too - or - if you spy a good pair on a FS section here that'd be fine too. Thanks.

Jtiis,

Welcome to the forum.

It's a risky business buying binoculars for other people. I know friends who have felt grudgingly obliged to dutifully use models given to them by partners that were totally unsuited to their needs. I'd suggest let her choose them. You wouldn't want a moment's delight in an unexpected gift to turn into long term resentment.;)

$750-1000 roughly gets to in to the second tier ranges of the best known brands or the top tier of rest. Would she prefer the kudos of a Zeiss or Swarovski or possibly better performance from a less prestigious brand?

You mention compact, but that can mean problems for spectacle users and poor performance, particularly in low light. True compacts are light weight maybe about 8oz but the top full size models can be 30oz or more. What might be acceptable?

Models like the Swarovski CL 8x25 or 8x30 and the Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32 are popular and might appeal, but I'd personally be very resentful if I was given at least one of those. There are very good alternatives from Vortex, Meopta/Cabelas, Kowa, Nikon etc. around that price range which might suite her better. It's possible she would prefer something more modestly priced like the Nikon Monarch7 8x30 and the rest spent on other goodies? (See John Cantelo's report on this page.)

You could argue that pretty much all binoculars above a certain price do an adequate job, but as you will probably note there are many here who dispute that ad infinitum. ;) Very much an individual choice.

Good luck,

David

Last edited:
Hello jtiis,

Many of the retailers that I would happily use Stateside (e.g. B&H Photo, Bass Pro, Cabelas, and many of the independents) offer Gift Cards. It makes your choice really easy, and then you can get to spend some quality time with your sister making the final choices in store. A win win.

Best wishes,

Hello all,

I am not a birder - sorry - no time... but I want to be a good brother :)

My mom was an avid birder and she never thought any of us kids would follow suit - but during the past year and a half or so low and behold my sister took up the hobby in a big way. (Who knows she might even be a member here... if she is I hope she doesn't give this a read!)... anyhow - I am wanting to get her a very nice pair of binocs.

She does general out in nature birding. She lives in Michigan so she can be out in the cold/snow if that matters. She likes to do bird photography as well so I think she needs binocs that are somewhat compact. I don't know what good ones go for but I can go up to $750... $1000 if that's the sweet spot range if necessary. Anyhow, I've only got a few weeks to pick them up so - recommendations fast and furious are appreciated.

TIA.

Well, that won't get you an "alpha," humph, humph! But, $350-$500 will get you a bino that she can't tell from an "alpha." Use the rest of the money to take her to a good restaurant and give it to her there. Tell her: "Even though Mom liked you best," I love you too. . . . Mom said I had too.

Even if she comes to BF, she probably won't come to this section. I published an optically-oriented journal for 10 years. Out of 3,000 "subscribers," only 6 were ladies, and one of those was an associate editor. |=\|

Bill

Well, that won't get you an "alpha," humph, humph! But, $350-$500 will get you a bino that she can't tell from an "alpha." Use the rest of the money to take her to a good restaurant and give it to her there. Tell her: "Even though Mom liked you best," I love you too. . . . Mom said I had too.

Even if she comes to BF, she probably won't come to this section. I published an optically-oriented journal for 10 years. Out of 3,000 "subscribers," only 6 were ladies, and one of those was an associate editor. |=\|

Bill

Huh? Guess that leaves me out..........

Thanks for the feedback.

Ended up getting her a pair of Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32. They are new - but a store or such had included them in a field demo or some such and had discounted them to $700. Seemed a good enough price as they are basically new. Anyhow, I'm sure she'll be happy with them. Not picky... but is sure enjoying her birding so wanted to "reward" her.

Thanks again...

Huh? Guess that leaves me out..........

Now, Now, Now, they were all WELCOME. Girls just don't usually get into playing with the same toys as boys. I think it's a maturity thing. About twice a week my wife remind me I'm . . . TEN.

She has been dying her hair for ten years, so, I just run my fingers through my tightly packed head of dark brown hair and say . . . yeah, I know!

Bill

Thanks for the feedback.

Ended up getting her a pair of Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32. They are new - but a store or such had included them in a field demo or some such and had discounted them to $700. Seemed a good enough price as they are basically new. Anyhow, I'm sure she'll be happy with them. Not picky... but is sure enjoying her birding so wanted to "reward" her.

Thanks again...

I think this is a wonderful present from a brother to his sister. I would be absolutely overjoyed if my brother gave me such a gift. What a lucky girl she is! When I read the opening post, my reaction was the same as typos; let her choose but you obviously didn't want to do that (maybe she lives too far away from you or no optics shop near her or whatever) but you have made a good choice for small female hands.

Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks again...

Well done, that should be a very good choice.

I think a lot of the Zeiss Conquest HD line, as I have the 10x42.
The 8x32 has been well recommended.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back