• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Id The Thief (1 Viewer)

Clive A,you are also the loser as retailers allow for shoplifting thefts in their retail price so we are all losers when purchasing goods.If there was no theft whatsoever by staff or public then the goods could be retailed at a much lower price.You are obviously one of those persons that condones theft as long as it doesn't affect you.A thief is a thief is a thief.It affects us all.....Eddy

Eddy, thought some one would bite! You say retailers could offer a lower price if there was no theft, in theory yes, but would they?
I don't condone theft, I am just fed up with living in a country (nay world) where corporate greed, call it theft if you like because to me it is, is a daily occurrence.
People in this country, and around the world,are being sent to prison for stealing a few groceries, whilst we are all being stolen from daily by the big supermarkets, energy companies etc.
Who went to prison for this little scam?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7132108.stm

Not enough jewellery so that theory can be discounted. If he was doing method acting based on LGRE and chums where is a) Bandana and b) Broken Sound Card

Eddy, thought some one would bite! You say retailers could offer a lower price if there was no theft, in theory yes, but would they?
I don't condone theft, I am just fed up with living in a country (nay world) where corporate greed, call it theft if you like because to me it is, is a daily occurrence.
People in this country, and around the world,are being sent to prison for stealing a few groceries, whilst we are all being stolen from daily by the big supermarkets, energy companies etc.
Who went to prison for this little scam?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7132108.stm

Conspiracy theory raises its ugly head.
Undoubtedly conspiracies exist: because people exist and some are straight, some are bent and others are subject to intolerable pressures.
Because people are fallible, so is reporting. Your little milk scam is not a simple case of conspiracy although you may choose to view it like that.
Because people are fallible they can tend to sweep up stuff into their belief system that they believe supports their views, while discounting or ignoring everything that doesn't correspond with their world view.
We all do it to some extent.
Profit is the reward for taking a risk.
Because people are fallible some of them believe that profit as a concept is dirty and exploitative.

Folks eh?

You couldn't make it up.

Lee

There are two morals to this story.

One is this particular person has been 'noted' on the CCTV cameras for all the birding world to see in the birding world so he is known now. :eek!:

Two is if he is seen doing a similar thing elsewhere, everyone will be watching him, and all of his movements. He will fail believe you me if he tries too hard, he will get caught.

Half the battle is everyone has had a look at his mugshot so it is prefectly okay IMHO to place on the Bird Forum.

My views about what was taken in YouTube to me... he looks suspicious. He has deep pockets, and his movements suggested he was up to no good. A set of binos can be hidden easily from sight in his deep pockets within his jacket

Please leave Bill Oddie alone LOL

Another suggestion is that all binos and optics be tied with metal lines so they cannot be lifted and taken (as with the Bird Fair) better safe than sorry.

So there! :gh:

Regards
Kathy
x

Conspiracy theory raises its ugly head.
Undoubtedly conspiracies exist: because people exist and some are straight, some are bent and others are subject to intolerable pressures.
Because people are fallible, so is reporting. Your little milk scam is not a simple case of conspiracy although you may choose to view it like that.
Because people are fallible they can tend to sweep up stuff into their belief system that they believe supports their views, while discounting or ignoring everything that doesn't correspond with their world view.
We all do it to some extent.
Profit is the reward for taking a risk.
Because people are fallible some of them believe that profit as a concept is dirty and exploitative.

Folks eh?

You couldn't make it up.

Lee

Interesting concept.

Given the reputation of potentially innocent people are being tarnished, I think Bird Forum should be thinking quite carefully about the posting of such threads. Why are the faces of those not under consideration, for example the man a few moments later, not being blacked out?

Quite. The people who chanted "paedo" outside Bajan Ebrahimi's house in the days before he was dragged out into the street and kicked to death were sure they were right too.
Unfortunately, sometimes things aren't quite what they seem.

Case solved

My first thoughts were that the guy resembled a cross between Bill Oddie and John McCririck. But I guess that, in this instance at least, we can discount the hybrid theory straight away?

(The guy who may be innocent of course. And the other two I mention I would think we can safely say are probably not even involved at all?)

If LGRE (who is also probably innocent imo) thought he'd seen the guy, it could have been that he was checking out mannerisms/clothing etc in order to appear as a genuine birder at the event for these allegedly nefarious purposes. Or that there is someone else out there whom he resembles. If 4 pairs of bins went awol I'd imagine it could be real criminals. Real Birders wouldn't stoop so low, surely? Or a natural progression from other 'collecting' pastimes?

And the chances of the facial hair and hat not being seen for quite some while again seems quite likely imo ...
re.

Just because that guy is wearing a hat like Mr. McCririck doesn't necessarily mean that these two are relatives. I'd rather think the bloke does look like The Penguin camouflaged with the beard of Billy Oddie and the hat of John McCririck.

. There was a similar case, I think about a year ago with cameras, top-quality ones, going walkies. This involved quite a lot of cameras.
It took several months to apprehend the individual.
this was reported in the AP weekly magazine.

Also over the years I know of several similar incidents.
And also really large quantities have been taken in single heists several times.
Sometimes with these one-offs the culprits have not been found.

Binastro.
Your comment that similar incidents have happened over the years, well you are right in thinking that. My local reserve RSPB Salthome was only open 2 weeks and it was burgled and every single optic was stolen.

. The big recent, i.e. over the last few years, burglaries and robberies of cameras and optics that I know of involved amounts of £40,000-£150,000 in single incidents. Some of these optics were irreplaceable and represented a lifetime of work.
In some cases great physical harm was done to individuals and this is of course worse than the monetary loss.

It is strange that no one in the birding world can identify this man and/ or his associates,maybe of course he just looks and dresses as a birder but that this is part of his disguise to enable him to"mingle" and not stand out in the crowd.I would have thought that if he was a birder someone woud know him.Only my opinion of course..Eddy

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back