• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Minox BL 10x42 BR (1 Viewer)

solentbirder

Anyone using this model ? I've seen positive comments about the 8x42 version but nothing about the 10x. Anyone know how they compare to the 8x or to other 10x models in the same price bracket ?
Many thanks.

A friend of mine got a pair, he just started birdwatching and so far has only praise for these bins. He took some time in setting them up, much lighter in weight than my Leica 8-12x42 and much cheaper, cant compair the optics though so I guess you get what you pay for. Saying that, what new birder wants to spend out almost a grand on bins??????

Tero said:
Actually, those BDs are not the same as the BLs
http://www.eagleoptics.com/index.asp?dept=1&type=19&purch=1&pid=4639

I tried the BLs at a local store here in Hungary. They compare closely with Nikon Monarchs but maybe BLs are slightly better in optics and feel smaller in the hands. That was my impression. They have almost identical specs. I tried both BLs and Nikons. If I had to walk out of the shop with one it would have been the Minox. They are good optics. Anyone laboring under bad entry-level unPCed roofs will find them very good. But thats not me. Neither was so wonderful that I felt the need to buy them then and there. Also the narrow FOV (8x models) gives me pause.
Sorry I havent a more detailed review. I tested them in a shopping-mall for a few minutes. Just to give a sense what I am implicitly comparing: I use Swift Audubon Porros 8.5x44 and B&L Discoverers 7x42 roofs.

Last edited:
Jedku is right - the BL and the BD are two different models. The BD used to be Minox top-of-the-range until (dammit!) the HG models came out recently.

I have had a pair of 10x52 BDs since Sept 2003 and they are terrific. They get a bit of a bashing on a daily basis, both from hard use and the weather. I have only two niggles (both put right in the HG's as I understand it) and that is weight and a shallowish depth of field, but I've got used to it now. Build quality is excellent.

B

solentbirder said:
Anyone using this model ? I've seen positive comments about the 8x42 version but nothing about the 10x. Anyone know how they compare to the 8x or to other 10x models in the same price bracket ?
Many thanks.

I gave the 10x42 BLs a try vs. the 8x32 BLs, which I regard in my (limited) experience, as very good and I have to admit I was disappointed with the 10x42 BL - image was a bit soft around the edges and they weren't the brightest - not deficient in any major way, just not inspirational. In the same shop (Focus Optics), I also looked at/through several other mid priced 10x42 roofs (Monarchs, Opticron Verano, RSPB BG.PC...amazing range they carry in stock, although they're not the cheapest IMO - still I'm prepared to pay a little more to have checked out the bins myself vs. mail order). Anyway these all felt on a very limited test, give or take, much the same - not bad but not great... but then I had just tried two porros that were really superb - Nikon SE 10x42 and Minox 10x44. Very, very impressed with both. (Nikon had a very bright image and decent FOV, sharp right to the edge, Minox sharp and possibly even brighter still[!], but significantly narrower FOV). I'm totally hooked on both these porros and am saving my pennies for one or the other, probably the Minox as although it's not the better of the two as an all round package, it's very bright - and the cheaper of the two by a fair margin.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back