• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (19 Viewers)

The East Hide log book contains an entry from GLaB at 5pm on Friday of an (unaged) Kittiwake at the Moors Pool.

John - what was the latest time you saw your bird on Friday?

Graham has added the following detail:

"It was in the water at top north end of moors for few seconds before circling & flying north. Adult winter plumage with black triangles on wing tips."

Last Major Tuesday Work Party Of The Season

This Tuesday, we will be completing the breeding habitat work on Amy's Marsh.
This will include :-
1. Strimming the western arm of the Broadmeadow pool.
2. creating a 'living roof' on the sand martin bank
3. removing all willow and grass cuttings around the seasonal pool.
4. securing the eastern border fence.
I can promise this work will not be the 'hard graft' of last week8-P
So if you can spend a couple of hours or so on Tuesday meet at the car park at 9am, or just come around to the east hide area whenever you can make it.:t:

There after, Tuesday's work parties, will be all about maintenance and small jobs.
B :)John

In all fairness Sy I cant recall seeing this chap before. I am all for people having their own views and opinions but they need to understand that we undertake work through neccessity and good reason based on years of knowledge and observation, rather than selective choice or visual amenity. If we could avoid clearing the islands, removing encroaching reeds, strimming grass etc it would make the work parties much lighter work!

I disagree with the last sentence Phil, We wouldn't have to do any work to achieve that. The only way to prove a point, is to completely stop the work parties. I can guaranty that within a year or two there would be no Avocet for starters, if this gentleman knew what he was talking about, he would have known that - its another case of open mouth and disengage brain.8-P
Perhaps we could get some interpretive boards made, to explain how wetlands are managed.
ie an 'open vista' for waders, to see approaching avian and mammalian predators. short vegetation for feeding in and shingle islands for breeding on. Removal of close by trees, to inhibit corvids and raptor predation, etc etc.

Phil. Is Corn Bunting on your wish-list for Upton?

Des. :smoke:

I have a letter re a Hawfinch in 199?, I will dig it out. Simon ( a good birder), he actually mentioned it to me a few months back. Stating that he told AFJ , but he didn't believe him. will sortB :)

Ahh - but if I havent looked at the Flicker site I wouldnt have seen it ;)

Perhaps if you have a bit of spare time Mark you could post a list of the species that are on the Flicker site and John / Mike / myself can add details of the historic rarities we know have been captured on film to see what remains an Upton photographic first?

I will try, or you could venture there yourselves, it's just a click away 8-P

Tuesday 19th March at Moors

At Moors Tuesday 19th
Tomorrow as well as the Tuesday crew's work party, there will also be contractors at work clearing the islands of unwanted weeds.
Thus there will be a lot of disturbance at the Moors all morning.

Day total for Sunday

Yesterday my list was 66 species.
That does not include sparrowhawk, raven, jay or, linnet all of which were recorded by others.
Highlights
Waders: 7 species.
Duck: 7 species
Gulls: 4 species

Next Saturday I am going to do an 'all-dayer'. My wife and daughters are on my daughters Hen do, so I will be on the reserve from dawn till dusk and beyond.B :) John
If anyone wants to keep me company I'll see you then, if anyone wants to avoid me I suggest you don't go next Saturday8-P;)

hi all,just one photo from a different world,next time you walk pass the gate to the east hide take a look on top of the one post Mary did.

madam also liked the Goldcrest photo nice one chris

John as we all know the father of the bride has to have a Penguin suit;)

Attachments

• 17 march.jpg
    17 march.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 181
Well I for one always think the reserve looks immaculate. I wished my local patch put the same time in as the work parties do. Personally don't have any understanding of reserve management but if it didn't work why would Upton always do so well with its variation of species.

Please keep up all the great work all.

hi all,just one photo from a different world,next time you walk pass the gate to the east hide take a look on top of the one post Mary did.

madam also liked the Goldcrest photo nice one chris

John as we all know the father of the bride has to have a Penguin suit;)

Yes that is a lovely little colony of Mosses & Lichens. Super macro image Gladys! :t:

Rob

Recent pics:

1. Double Pot Of Gold!
2. Common Snipe
3. Common Snipe

Rob

Attachments

• photo(49) - Version 2.jpg
    photo(49) - Version 2.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 147
  • _ROB0651 .jpg
    _ROB0651 .jpg