• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bleach ratio - what is the safe ratio to put in bird pond? (1 Viewer)

debbielevi

NATURELOVER
I know you can put a small amount of bleach in bird pond to fight algae, but do not know the ratio. I have 150 gallon pond and nothing I try keeps the algae at bay - not even the stuff they sell in the pond aisle at the store. I was thinking of trying good ol' bleach - but want to make sure I don't put too much in and hurt the birds and critters.

If anyone knows the safe ratio for bleach/water for critters, please let me know. Thank you!

I know you can put a small amount of bleach in bird pond to fight algae, but do not know the ratio. I have 150 gallon pond and nothing I try keeps the algae at bay - not even the stuff they sell in the pond aisle at the store. I was thinking of trying good ol' bleach - but want to make sure I don't put too much in and hurt the birds and critters.

If anyone knows the safe ratio for bleach/water for critters, please let me know. Thank you!

I have always used a small bunch of Barley Straw that I have either made myself or bought at a garden centre. Seems a little more natural or less harmful to other wildlife as a means of keeping the pond clear.

Sue

I have always used a small bunch of Barley Straw that I have either made myself or bought at a garden centre. Seems a little more natural or less harmful to other wildlife as a means of keeping the pond clear.

Sue

I've tried that too but never seemed to work. I now resort to twirling it out with a stick....very tedious. But bleach:eek!: , no I don't think I'd do that....wouldn't be any good for anything living.

Hi Debbielevi - If you are experiencing a hot, dusty summers like we have in California then staving off the algae will be a never ending battle. If you use bleach to intially clean your pool, let it sit dry for a day to help eliminate the residual remanants of the bleach, then fill your pool with water. Buy a soft scrub brush and gently scrub the bath daily/ every other day whatever works for you. This will prevent the algae from growing on your pool. It's a little inconvenient, but it works and your bath will remain relatively free of algae and you won't have to use bleach all the time. The bleaching will not stave off algae either, it will come back. A little scrubbing and fresh water from time to time will keep your pool operational. If you have a pump, filter the water through some batting to filter out the dead algae.

This is a method used to keep large pools clean without using to many harsh chemicals. Use the instructions on the back of the bleach bottle for porportions.

I'm intrigued by Sue's method, but barley straw is not available here.

Last edited:
I would not try the bleach if you have fish. Good ole scrubbing and siphoning might do the trick for you, especially if you have water plants too.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back