• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What species are attracted to tapes (1 Viewer)

Ross Ahmed

I've seen House Martin, Willow Tit and Yellow-browed Warbler attracted to speakers playing recordings of their own calls. What other species are attracted to tapes?

almost every species with a known song or call, which has any territorial or similar function! I can't think of many species which would not be, though I've never tried to tape in a Mute Swan or an Ostrich.

cheers, a

All of them with a voice normally react in some way--attraction or repulsion--depending on age, sex, season.

Tried and failed with a Garden Warbler last year...maybe just a timid individual who couldn't compete with a territorial incursion :)

I've seen House Martin, Willow Tit and Yellow-browed Warbler attracted to speakers playing recordings of their own calls. What other species are attracted to tapes?

Well ... my ringing trainer uses audio lures, but we call them bird scarers !

Effectiveness, especially for catching is very mixed. In autumn he seems to switch his tape on when he is ready for a net full of meadow pipits, and switch it off when he has enough. We have also watched a mistle thrush sit on top of the mist net pole "swearing" at the tape lure for perhaps 15 minutes continuously.

Mike.

I'm not sure if we should talk about specifics on this public forum. There are sound lures being traded commercially for so-called hunters in the ME, and videos are on line of huge numbers of passerines being trapped with mist nets in conjunction with powerful sound systems, which can almost literally suck migrants out of the early dawn sky. By publicly detailing species which respond to calls makes their 'job' even easier.

I'm not sure if we should talk about specifics on this public forum. There are sound lures being traded commercially for so-called hunters in the ME, and videos are on line of huge numbers of passerines being trapped with mist nets in conjunction with powerful sound systems, which can almost literally suck migrants out of the early dawn sky. By publicly detailing species which respond to calls makes their 'job' even easier.

John,

xeno-canto has recently taken action to restrict recordings of certain species that are susceptible to trapping or harassment.

http://www.xeno-canto.org/help/FAQ#restricted

http://www.xeno-canto.org/species/Leiothrix-argentauris

Grahame

Of course it's not just "sports hunters" who use recording to attract target species, but also collectors looking to add to their museum collections, ref recent collection of Moustached Kingfisher in Guadalcanal.

cheers, alan

To begin with:
DON'T tape-lupe birds in popular locations, like regularily visited national parks and trails, or rarities which will be bothered by many people over the course of several days
DON'T tape-lure birds more than once for few minutes max. If any photographer wants to make a photo-session with a bird and lures it for half an hour, shove his tripod into appropriate place of his body.

Then - tape luring works with most birds. Intensity depends from mood and time of the breeding season. I often get a response of a non-breeding bird. In this case what is enough for me is that the bird calls back or hops for a second to the top of a bush, so I know where it is.

It is common that the bird responds to tape, but observer fails to notice it. For example the bird sits and watches with interest behind and above the birder.

The photo below is from a national park in Thailand very liked by Chinese photographers.

Attachments

• photomadness.jpg
    photomadness.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back