• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Monarch HG (1 Viewer)

Hello Steve thanks for the side by side comparison if you have a Vortex Razor HD and Meopta Meostar HD on hand I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on those as well.

We have both 42mm Razors here and the Meopta MeoPro HD 8x42 that I'll eventually throw into the mix as I get a chance.

Chuck, what binoculars will you be able to compare the HG with ?

Here's the one's on hand:

SV 8.5X42
Nikon EDG II 8X42
SF 8X42
SLC HD 8X42
FL 8X42
Maven 8X42

I was originally thinking about the SF and EDG II....but them the Maven is exactly the same price point.

Y'all wanna pick two?

U was

Here's the one's on hand:

SV 8.5X42
Nikon EDG II 8X42
SF 8X42
SLC HD 8X42
FL 8X42
Maven 8X42

I was originally thinking about the SF and EDG II....but them the Maven is exactly the same price point.

Y'all wanna pick two?

U was

The Maven and the EDG get my vote for utterly self-serving reasons....

Is the EDG worth the extra outlay in terms of optical performance, or does the mhg get close enough on that score, that its larger FOV, lighter weight, and possibly improved diopter adjustment make it a clearly better choice? Also, does the eye relief spec work well with glasses? The EDG has a much better figure for that.

Always interesting to see what compromises a manufacturer makes, whether it be optical goods or automobiles, in order to establish a multi-tiered product line that doesn't undercut its flagship product.

Also, I'm curious if the 'maverick' Maven can equal or exceed optical performance and build quality of an established manufacturer at the same price point. In addition, which one is most comfortable with eyeglasses? As many have noted, weight of a binocular can
be helpful in holding it steady, so its not entirely a negative for a bin to weigh reasonably more, as long as one can carry it comfortably.

Whatever you end up choosing for comparative purposes, I'll be reading with great interest!

-Bill

I vote for the Nikon EDG 8X42 for sure. Since that just leaves one left, then it is between the Maven and the SLC. The SLC is more readily available so I will go with it and also because I have the prior HD version. Either way, all is good.

You should be having a busy weekend with the Nikon, the Zen-Ray and the Terra all showing up around the same time! Enjoy!

Not tested or user rated yet. Then again, they haven't tested a relatively big seller like the Zeiss Conquest 8x42 variant.

Last edited:
I am posting this on the main Monarch HG thread, as this may be the place to put it.

I am enjoying my 10x42 MHG, but the diopter lock seems loose, and does not firmly stay down in
place like it should.

Has anyone else had this issue ?

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

Yes. It is looser on my Monarch 8x42 HG than I like it. I was comparing it to the ones on my Nikon 8x32 LXL and 10x32 LXL, which are identical in construction, and those seem to have more friction holding them in place but the diopter on my HG is harder to turn when changing settings.

Let me edit that statement about "identical" construction. They look the same and work the same but the ones on the Monarch HG are shorter in length than those on the LXLs which may explain the tighter friction hold on the LXLs.

Bob

Last edited:
I am posting this on the main Monarch HG thread, as this may be the place to put it.

I am enjoying my 10x42 MHG, but the diopter lock seems loose, and does not firmly stay down in
place like it should.

Has anyone else had this issue ?

Jerry

Jerry ..... I have the 8X42 Nikon Monarch HG but the diopter mechanism looks to be the same.

Mine is firm and clicks into place. It does not unlock either shaking it or rubbing something against it. It takes an intentional grip to pull it from the "lock" position.

I noticed there is a click position when pushing the ring back down into the locked position. The ring will slide down fairly easily to the click position where it stops, then it takes an extra push and it will snap all the way down. Once locked, there should be almost no space between the ring and the lug strap ring. You may want to check to make sure you are pushing the ring all the way down past the initial resistance and clicking into the lock position.

Bruce,

The diopter ring on my MHG doesnot have a click position like yours does nor does it make a clicking sound when I push it down. Neither does the one on my old 10x32 LXL; but the diopter ring on my old 8x32 LXL does make a clicking sound when I push it down.

My MHG has a low SN: #00007xx. What is the SN on yours?

Bob

My diopter ring moves from lock to unlock without any click...probably easier than it SHOULD but hasn't seemed to be an issue.

Bob our binoculars must have been pretty close! 0000760!

My diopter ring moves from lock to unlock without any click...probably easier than it SHOULD but hasn't seemed to be an issue.

Bob our binoculars must have been pretty close! 0000760!

No click with mine either, but no problems at all.

0000763 here. Born minutes apart!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back