• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x32 SE - objective covers and rain guard? (1 Viewer)

jremmons

Wildlife Biologist
Hello,

Recently picked up a like-new 8x32 SE on a whim. As I'm thinking it may be a good counterpart to my 10x roof, I'd like to get a good rainguard and some objective covers for it. Any thoughts?

Hello,

I once owned an 7x32 SE and found the Nikon accessories to be useless. I purchased lens caps a Zeiss rain guard from Eagle Optics. My recollection is that the Eagle Optics 32 mm caps worked just fine.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur

I use Butler Creek flip caps on the objectives and a Vortex Raingaurd. I will try and post a pic later tonight. I really like the way the flip caps can be flipped towards the center and stay out the way at all times. More about this later when I get home to check part numbers and take pics. :t:

Attachments

• 20170127_171241.jpg
    20170127_171241.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 209
  • 20170127_171214.jpg
    20170127_171214.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 181
  • 20170127_171118.jpg
    20170127_171118.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 183
  • 20170127_172254.jpg
    20170127_172254.jpg
    367.1 KB · Views: 155
  • 20170127_172225.jpg
    20170127_172225.jpg
    354.8 KB · Views: 175
I like the idea of the Zeiss Classic rainguard and Butler Creek caps. I'll double check to make sure size.28 is correct for the caps. Thanks for the advice.

I like the idea of the Zeiss Classic rainguard and Butler Creek caps. I'll double check to make sure size.28 is correct for the caps. Thanks for the advice.

Almost any rainguard will fit on the SE. The one that comes standard
is much better than the over bulky heavy one for the Zeiss Classic.
I have one.

I found some nice tethered objective covers from Eagle Optics, I
believe they are their own brand. I would call them, they are very
helpful, just measure the size.

I have bushwackers on my 8x30 EII, mostly to add some length for
better handling, but found the hinged covers are a bother, so I cut
the hinges and caps off, just using the rubber as an extender.

Jerry

Be careful with the Butler Creek caps especially if they fit too tight. I had a pair on my Nikon 8x32 SE's and when I tried to remove them the whole objective rings came off with them. They are just glued on with adhesive. Just a word to the wise. I wouldn't use them.

Last edited:
Hello,

Recently picked up a like-new 8x32 SE on a whim. As I'm thinking it may be a good counterpart to my 10x roof, I'd like to get a good rainguard and some objective covers for it. Any thoughts?

I don't have a problem with the Nikon stock accessories. They're far from perfect, but they get the job done. But here are my thoughts on something with a more tailored fit:

Rainguard: With my eyeglasses, I usually roll down the SE's eyecups about halfway, and I leave them like that even in storage. If you end up doing the same thing, you might consider the rainguard from the Meopro HD 8x32 ( do you still have that?). It's a little snug, and only goes down as far as the folded-down lip of the eyecup, but it's pretty good. I don't know if it's sold retail, but it you contact Meopta they might sell you one as a replacement part.

Objective caps: The Meopro's caps are about 1mm too big, but the ones that come with the Vortex 8x32 Viper HD are a pretty good fit. I believe that Eagle optics sells these.

I use an Opticron 43mm BGA Binocular Rainguard on these. The fit is just right.

I've got Eagle Optics caps on the objective lenses but the fit is a hair too snug. You almost have to hold the Nikon's objective rings in place while you peel off the caps, otherwise they want to go as one piece. (I see a theme here -- Nikon really should've better secured the separate rubber ring around the objective lenses.)

Hello,

I once owned an 7x32 SE and found the Nikon accessories to be useless. I purchased lens caps a Zeiss rain guard from Eagle Optics. My recollection is that the Eagle Optics 32 mm caps worked just fine.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur

I have the exact same on my 8x32 SE's.

I just got the Opticron "Binocular objective lens covers 32mmOG XL" tethered caps. They are described as fitting an outside diameter of 47-48mm. They are a perfect fit for the SE 8x32.

The loops that go around the barrels are tight and the lens caps can be pulled off off with minimal effort. Some caps (like the Eagle Optics ones I was using) are so snug that when you take them off, you also have to hold in place the rubber bumper at the end of the barrels, lest this rubber come off with the caps.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back