• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Undescribed (2 Viewers)

Laurent must be right about the Babbler. The other two Babblers mentioned are also described. The one of the Liocichla dates from 2006 and is well known. The Fulvetta was originally described as a subspecies of the Spectacled Fulvetta (Alcippe ruficapilla) in the Forktail, No.10 (1995). Now it is treated as a race of the Indochinese Fulvetta (Fulvetta danisi).
Vanikoro and Dutson's Zosterops are one and the same bird and its description is apparently in preparation. I still haven't found the article in which the other Zosterops was treated, but I expect it to be mentioned in the upcoming volume of HBW.

BTW: How you can get a species named after yourself without gobs of money?

Find it, then leave the description to someone else... (Though it may still not be a secure way.)
Naming a species yourself after yourself is considered bad practice, although some have found ways around this - e.g., Joseph Sabine named the Sabine's Gull "Larus Sabini" after... his brother. ;)

Isn't this S. nongganensis?

Laurent must be right about the Babbler. The other two Babblers mentioned are also described. The one of the Liocichla dates from 2006 and is well known. The Fulvetta was originally described as a subspecies of the Spectacled Fulvetta (Alcippe ruficapilla) in the Forktail, No.10 (1995). Now it is treated as a race of the Indochinese Fulvetta (Fulvetta danisi).

Hmm!! Not fully awaked this morning |=o| Of course I know the Nonggang Babbler, the Bugun Liocichla (Liocichla bugunorum) and the Fulvetta from Mt Bi Doup (F. danisi bidoupensis) well enough, but for some reason I did not update my “undescribed list” before posting it.|8.|

Thanks anyway for awakening me up !|^|

Troglodytidae

Some wrens still keep secret:

The “Mantaro Wren” Thryothorus (Pheugopedius) sp in Peru: Junin: Mantaro (Kolibri expeditions http://www.birdingperu.org/satipo-1.htm )

The “Las Marias Wren” Thryothorus sp in Honduras: Gracias a Dios: Las Marias (Tom Jenner: http://www.mayanbirding.com/ - This thread message # 54)

A wren Microcerculus sp in Peru: border with Colombia & Brazil (This thread message # 19)

More ?

Last edited:
Some wrens still keep secret:

A “Wren" Microcerculus sp in Peru: border with Colombia & Brazil (This thread message # 19)

More ?

The Microcerculus wren can be found at Palmarí Lodge along the Rio Javari/Yavari. It has a very distinct monotonous insect like call. During a visit last year I heard the bird two times on the Brazilian side of the river. The undescribed ant-wren species at the site was also seen two or three times.|=)|

Muscicapoidea

Some hidden taxa:

The “Tabora Starling” Cinnyricinclus sp in Tanzania: Tabora (http://worldtwitch.com/new_species_hornbuckle.htm )

The “Mathews Range Starling” Onychognathus sp in Kenya: Mathews Range (John G. Williams: A Field Guide to the Birds of East Africa - Collins, 1980: p. 12).

The “Beni Thrush” Turdus sp in Bolivia: Beni (Jon Hornbuckle: http://worldtwitch.com/new_species_hornbuckle.htm - This thread message # 4)

A thrush Turdus (hauxwelli) ssp in Peru (This thread message # 4)

The “Morris's Shortwing” Brachypteryx sp in the Philippines: Mindanao: Mont Apo (Pete Morris in 1996: http://worldtwitch.com/new_species_hornbuckle.htm )

The “Lore Lindu Flycatcher” Muscicapa sp in Indonesia: Sulawesi: Lore Lindu National Park (Ben King & al. in 1997: http://orientalbirdclub.org/publications/forktail/15pdfs/King-Muscicapa.pdf )

Do you know them better ?

Others in this clade ?

Old world passerines

The last ones:

The “Djibouti Sunbird” Nectarinia sp ? Djibouti: forêt du Day: Wadi Tôha in 1985 (Welch, G. & Welch, H. 1998, Bulletin African Bird Club 5: 46-50)

The “Mtera Dam Sunbird” Tanzanie: Mtera Dam (http://worldtwitch.com/new_species_hornbuckle.htm )

The “Spot-sided Munia” Lonchura sp in Indonesia: Kalimantan (Robin Restall 1996, Munias and mannikins: 93)

A paradise-whydah Vidua sp in Ethiopia (this thread message 7)

The “Mtera Dam Canary” Serinus sp in Tanzania: Mtera Dam (Neil Baker in litt. http://worldtwitch.com/new_species_hornbuckle.htm )

The “Sidamo Serin” Serinus sp in Ethiopia: Sidamo: Agere Mariam: Jerbasri (J. S. Ash 1979 Ibis 121: 1-7)

The “Awash Serin” Serinus sp in Ethiopia: Awash Valley between Awash Station and Gewani (J. S. Ash 1979 Ibis 121: 1-7)

Any recent data ?

I could add a few more from New Guinea.

There is probably a undescribed subspecies of Black-eared catbird A. melanotis in the mountains on Waigeo; above the altitudunal range of A. buccoides.

Previously unknown populations of Wallace's Owlet-nightjar A. wallacii and Beccari's Scrubwren S. beccarii was discovered at Mount Salal on Waigeo sometime in 2006 by Iwein Mauro, at least S. beccarii is likely to be represented by a undescribed subspecies, while this population of Wallace's Owlet-nightjar may show to be greatly different from the different populations on mainland New Guinea.

I remember a discussion Hidde and myself had some year ago, and he mentioned a undescibed species (or subspecies?) of pheasant-pigeon in the Bewani Mts, maybe I have missed that he has already mentioned this species in this thread.

The Lonchura caniceps, both Coates (1990) and Restall (1997) mentions several undescribed populations of this species in the south-eastern parts of Papua New Guinea, some likely to be merely hybrid forms while others is likely to represent undescribed subspecies.

I don't know any new details on these guys except for the Lonchura. Wasn't it suspected to be a hybrid ? Or did that apply to another one of those newly described "Restall Mannikins/Munias" ?
I have a few more additions:
"Anchietas Sunbird" from Zambia (see mutinondozambia site with photo)
"Lang Bian Pyrrhula" from Vietnam (see Birdlife Indochina site but probably also mentioned in Bull. Or. Bird Club)
"Altai Nuthatch" from the Russian Altai (see Dutch Birding 29, '07)
"Foja Whistler" from Foja Mountains Papua (see Diamond, Emu 1985, but not mentioned by Beehler so far)

I don't know any new details on these guys except for the Lonchura. Wasn't it suspected to be a hybrid ? Or did that apply to another one of those newly described "Restall Mannikins/Munias" ?
I have a few more additions:
"Anchietas Sunbird" from Zambia (see mutinondozambia site with photo)
"Lang Bian Pyrrhula" from Vietnam (see Birdlife Indochina site but probably also mentioned in Bull. Or. Bird Club)
"Altai Nuthatch" from the Russian Altai (see Dutch Birding 29, '07)
"Foja Whistler" from Foja Mountains Papua (see Diamond, Emu 1985, but not mentioned by Beehler so far)

I believe that the undescribed population of Lonchura caniceps found in some mountain area south of Lae has been confirmed to be a hybrid, so has another poulation in the highlands furter east I believe, aim not at home at the moment so I have no reference. The population found in Myola is also a bit of a mystery, I have read several trip reports from the area and the Myola form seems to be quite distinctive from all other L. caniceps, a hybrid or yet a another undescribed subspecies? we wont know for sure until someone examine some specimens from this population.

There is a population of Lonchura caniceps along the southern coast, some hours east of Port Moresby which is likely to represent a new subspecies, mentioned for the first time in a publication in EMU journal I believe and was also mentioned by Coates (1990) and I have spoken with a few Port Moresby based birders which has seen this form.

A paradise-whydah Vidua sp in Ethiopia (this thread message 7)

Any recent data ?

I suspect this may be the Exclamatory type which parasitizes the endemic Lineated Pytlia (now split from red-winged). Both occur (for example) at thee Gibe Gorge west of Addis. Presumably some Indigobird logic going on here?

alan

I suspect this may be the Exclamatory type which parasitizes the endemic Lineated Pytlia (now split from red-winged). Both occur (for example) at thee Gibe Gorge west of Addis. Presumably some Indigobird logic going on here?

OK. So V. interjecta might have a larger range in Ethiopia than previously thought (none in Clements (2007) or H&M3 (2003) and only 4 localised spots in the West in BoA (2004): Borraga-Kokolata, Baro-Bonga fork, Gambela, Bahir Dar).

I am lost Hidde.

In the abstract, Diamond talked about a Pachycephala provisionally included in P. soror (Kumawa Mts), so I guess it is P. s. octogenarii and a Pachycephala in the Fakfak Mts.

Is there another one in the Foja Mts ?

Let me put you back on track, Daniel. Yes, apart from the southern Vogelkop birds Diamond also found a new Pachycephala in the Foja Mts. At 1,600 m. he observed two small whistlers, both individuals looked similar, which seemed closest to the Vogelkop Whistler Pachycephala meyeri of the northern Vogelkop Mts. These birds are mentioned under that species in HBW but I'm sure they are something else.

Let me put you back on track, Daniel.

Thank you Hidde,

I got the full article eventually and I better understand the whistler accounts now. However after having read the whole paper I am confused with the Sericornis [arfakornis] scrubwrens phylogeny (perplexing, yes), but this is another story …

Users who are viewing this thread

Back