• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rainham Marsh worth a visit with non-birders? (1 Viewer)

Guizotia

Hi I'm wondering about going to Rainham Marsh this Saturday, with bins and scope. I would be taking along a couple of members of my family who have a general interest in nature but are not birders.

What is Rainham Marsh like at this time of year? Is there a lot to look at (especially from the hides) or is it pretty quiet?

I went there once a year or so ago when I was starting out birding and did not have a proper scope, and it seemed pretty quiet, but that may have been because my scope was poor quality and only 20x and I didn't know what I was doing!

Hi there,
I think it depends on how patient the members of your family are and what ages. There is a play area for kids and a really good circular walk along boardwalks etc. I've been to Rainham a few times and personally I think its more of a birders place, its a large area where you have to go out and seach, and it has some diverse habitats being next to the Thames. There are some interesting birds around at the moment but can be quite elusive sometimes; Penduline Tit, Serin (not been seen for a few days now), and Water Pipit. There should be a fair amount to look at from the hides in terms of wintering gulls, ducks and geese.
Looking at your location, maybe WWT centre at Barnes would be more suitable, it is very much focussed on introductions to ecology and conservation, there is more 'hands on' stuff to do, and whatever you think of it there is the captive wildfowl collection which non-birders tend to go for. But maybe you've been there already....

Hope this helps.

It's a good spot for Water Voles, but I'm not sure how easy they are to find in Winter. I've had good views of them here in Summer, as well as loads of Marsh Frogs calling.

Great info thanks.

Just to add my four pennyworth!

I take nature lovers and non birders to Barnes a lot - its very orientated to the general public...there are new additions in the collection area- Cranes!

There is a good play area for under12's and there are usually trails to do for older children. Most adults are happy to see the collection birds and there are Bitterns (altho elusive) around!

I would not suggest going to Rainham with non birders - altho at the w/e there are locals strolling around - it really is a place to go to bird!
If you want to go to Rainham go with other birders or by yourself and pal up with the local birders who are very friendly!

I've only been there once (on a winter Sunday) and I was actually very struck by the numbers of "civilians" who seemed to be enjoying a walk round - although I'd agree that the general feel of it was a bit birdy-focused.

As noted above, it probably depends on how self-motivated your party is, or how much they need to have things presented to them. Quite a lot of Rainham would count as a quiet walk and therefore a bit dull to many.

Hides should be in the singular, as there is only one, and it overlooks only a tiny tiny part of the reserve.
It is a very open and exposed reserve. However the family can hole up in the visitor centre and scan out from there if they get fed up walking around.

Hides should be in the singular, as there is only one, and it overlooks only a tiny tiny part of the reserve.
It is a very open and exposed reserve. However the family can hole up in the visitor centre and scan out from there if they get fed up walking around.

So what's the MO at Rainham then? Are there some known good places to stop and scan with the scope, or is it more a case of wandering about and seeing what finds you?

I'm surprised how little I remember of it.

So what's the MO at Rainham then? Are there some known good places to stop and scan with the scope, or is it more a case of wandering about and seeing what finds you?

I'm surprised how little I remember of it.

I think that is correct (one hide); when I walked around last week I noticed that a few more were due to open in the next month or so. These were centrally located and they will probably provide a very good view across the marsh from the south side. However, there are loads of places to scan with the scope, particularly from the boardwalk, as the whole area is relatively flat.
In addition there is the Thames path which isn't officially part of the reserve, and that seems very popular with locals out for a stroll, walking dogs etc.
The Penduline Tits are back today!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back