• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

bloodthirsty Terns! (1 Viewer)

erik

cheesehead
Netherlands
Yesterday in the dutch news: (translation further down...)

Bloeddorstige sterns in de aanval

delfzijl - Een argeloze bejaarde fietser uit Appingedam is dinsdagmiddag het slachtoffer geworden van een zwerm agressieve sterns bij de haven van Delfzijl. Een van de sterns wist de man enkele keren flink in het hoofd te pikken. De verwondingen waren dermate ernstig dat hij per ambulance naar het ziekenhuis is gebracht. De politie werd opgeroepen om de verplegers tegen de sterns te beschermen tijdens de hulpverlening.

De man fietste langs een braakliggend terrein. Tientallen sterns vlogen op van hun nesten en groepeerden zich in het zwerk tot een bloeddorstige aanvalsmachine, die duikvluchten uitvoerde op de fietser. Van schrik botste de man tegen een lantaarnpaal en viel van de fiets.

Een van de sterns greep zich vast op zijn hoofd en pikte hem tot bloedens toe. Agenten en ambulancepersoneel hadden vervolgens hun handen vol om het slachtoffer in de ziekenwagen te krijgen. De ontketende sterns bleven aanvallen. Een agent moest de vogels met een spade verjagen.

------------------------------

Bloodthirsty Terns attack

An unsuspecting retired biker from Appingedam has become the victim of a swarm aggressive Terns at the harbor of Delfzijl, Tuesday afternoon. One of the Terns managed to peck the man in his head several times. His wounds were so severe that he had to be taken to the hospital by an ambulance. The police was called for assistance to protect the ambulance-crew against the outrageous birds.

The man biked past fallow land. Tens of Terns flew up from their nests and grouped together as a bloodthirsty attacking machine, that carried out attacks on the biker. The man bumped into a lamppost and fell. One of the Terns grabbed hold of the man's head and pecked him til he bled. Cops and Ambulance crew had the hardest time getting the victim into the ambulance. The outrageous Terns kept attacking. One cop had to scare the birds with a spade.

---------------------

Seems like 'The Birds' has become real...
So when watching Terns the next time...you better watch out.

Excellent - I wish I'd been there to see that. Hilarious.
It's always great entertainment to watch the unsuspecting blunder into a tern colony.

I had a particularly bad experience at the tern colony at Yesnaby Sands on Orkney. I was trying to take close up pics of them hovering above me... so I got closer ...and closer ...then eventually 5 or 6 started bombing me - OUCH!!! I was still a very long way off from the chicks so I pity the poor surveyors and ringers that have get up close and personal!

In nearby town Sterna hirundo has several colonies on apartment block rooftops. They annoy some persons, but I find it rather interesting to visit eg. our library, where I can observe Sterna colony in few metres distance from second floor window. Once I surveyed archipelago avifauna, and there was a little skerry with 150 pairs of S paradisaea. I did not bother to climb on that rock.

Hi Erik,

Brilliant! . . . they've obviously never been to the Farne Islands ;)

I thought Dutch cyclists were required by law to wear a cycle helmet? If he had been, he'd have been safe.

Michael

Hey Michael, no we are not, we're not american :p

Still it's strange that you all choose the birds side. I felt pretty bad for that man...

Hi Erik,

Must admit I thought helmets were obligatory in NL - they're not in America, nor here; I know they are in New Zealand at least (after hearing a news item about how the law requiring helmets had almost completely stopped bicycle theft!)

Of course we are all on the birds' side - this is BirdForum, not PeopleForum!! ;)

Michael

Michael Frankis said:
Hi Erik,

Brilliant! . . . they've obviously never been to the Farne Islands ;)

The Isle of May is a bit different:
although they will peck, since there are fewer visitors crapping is a favoured approach! On the Farnes they presumably don't get chance to "reload" for this!

Rob

edenwatcher said:
The Isle of May is a bit different:
although they will peck, since there are fewer visitors crapping is a favoured approach! On the Farnes they presumably don't get chance to "reload" for this!

Rob
You should see the Farnes wardens' jackets . . . pretty near pure white by the end of the season

I've got a few white splashes on my coat, too . . . including one I like to claim is from the Lesser Crested Tern (tho' it probably isn't) ;)

Michael

Michael Frankis said:
You should see the Farnes wardens' jackets . . . pretty near pure white by the end of the season

I've got a few white splashes on my coat, too . . . including one I like to claim is from the Lesser Crested Tern (tho' it probably isn't) ;)

Michael
I guess they're more in the line of fire (especially in the morning before the boats arrive! I see you have #6000 imminent ...

Rob

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back