• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawke frontier ed 36 or 43? (1 Viewer)

Tinbum

I've got some frontier PC 8x25's which I love and am pretty sold on the brand. I want some bigger bins for planned trips (rather than take anywhere pocket ones) and am thinking either the 8x36 or 8x43's. There's not much in it weight wise and cost is a lot for me whichever I get, so my question is: will I notice a real benefit from the larger glass? And am I missing an obvious alternative for around £300?

An 8x36 and an 8x42 will collect two or three times more light than an 8x25. In the middle of the day you probably wouldn't notice a lot of difference, but sunrise or sunset, or a cloudy winters afternoon, the difference would be significant. Just guessing but I imagine the transmission figures on the Frontier ED would be better as well. Personally, I much prefer using pairs with exit pupils over 3.5mm as they are less fiddly to use.

The Frontier ED has a wider, flatter view than anything else I've tried at the price point and is a very popular buy in the UK. Unfortunately it's not a pair that particularly suites me, but you probably shouldn't take any notice of that. A couple of others to look out for might be the Bushnell Legend Ultra HD, which I personally like better but is rather over priced in the UK compared to the US. A bit over budget the Opticron Verano HD which I like a lot. A couple new ones that I haven't been able to check out but look promising are the Opticron ED-X and the InFocus Delta SL3.

David

hi tinbum i bought my bin's in December I tried most of them out around our area,I was set on the hawkes ed's by all the reviews and comments tried them and wasn't sure on them compared to other cheaper ones I tried,then I got my hands on the optricon's Verona hd to me they were the best by far.south west optics have them in stock lot better made too.
I'm out birding over next too days on holiday if you want meet up and try them your welcome,better then trying them in street.

hi tinbum i bought my bin's in December I tried most of them out around our area,I was set on the hawkes ed's by all the reviews and comments tried them and wasn't sure on them compared to other cheaper ones I tried,then I got my hands on the optricon's Verona hd to me they were the best by far.south west optics have them in stock lot better made too.
I'm out birding over next too days on holiday if you want meet up and try them your welcome,better then trying them in street.

Thanks for the offer, I've pm'd you my number.

i would get the 43, i had some 32's once and they are not that much smaller really.
the difference in length is not worth the loss of extended viewing in low light.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back